Teacher appreciation: How teachers can be misters

Gloria García
Who was/is your favorite teacher and why?

My favorite teacher is Mr.Danskin. He is my tutor and I appreciate him a lot because since the first day he has been very supportive in every problem that I have had.

At the beginning of the school year I thought he was going to be an awful tutor, as he was the physical education teacher, but as the school year progressed I realized he was one of the best tutors I have ever had because he was always trying to help us and asking for our opinion.

I can say that he has encouraged everyone in my class to study and to keep on going positively with the exams without being that stressed. He has gained the recognition he deserves and we all respect him.

What quality or qualities make a teacher great?

Firstly, a teacher should be humorous because it makes it easier to learn when you are relaxed.

Secondly, sometimes it is positive when teachers show empathy or understanding to students, because it makes them feel more comfortable.

Thirdly and most importantly, a teacher should not show too much authority. This makes students feel pressured and uncomfortable when learning in class.

Finally, good teachers make boring materials interesting, and invite students to participate and get involved in the subject.

Has a teacher ever negatively impacted you, but in a way that resulted in a positive outcome for you later in life?

When a teacher is strict, he always prevents us from being lazy or not working as hard as we could. Students are always complaining about how annoying this is for them, without realizing how important it is to have good studying habits for your future at college.
Teachers help us by improving our knowledge and our learning skills, and although they are sometimes a bit unimaginative they prepare us really good for our future.

Do you think teachers get the recognition they deserve?

Personally, I think they do not get the recognition they deserve because nowadays teachers do not have the same respect or importance as they used to before. 50 years ago teachers were taken seriously as were lawyers, doctors and architects. Equally, they are not paid the same. Their salaries have gone down.

Nowadays students show less respect because they do not see them as what they really are. Many students treat them as people who lack control. Some people think teachers have it too easy and that they have really long holidays, such as summer.

How do you learn best and do teachers know how to reach you?

I think that the best way of learning is making students work in groups or practicing more and watching films or videos instead of learning the theory.

Some teachers do know how to reach me, but others do not. To reach me they have to be enthusiastic and know how to transmit energy to the class, as well as being helpful and a little bit humorous.