Teacher Appreciation: My Friend, the King

eliu
Compassionate. Kind. Thoughtful. Motherly. My third grade teacher was all of these things, and more. She was my mother away from home, my counselor when I needed guidance, and my cheerleader when I did not have faith in myself.

Third grade began the same as all the other previous years. I excitedly entered a classroom for the first time in three months, ecstatic that I would be learning in a real school rather than the make-believe institution I created with my siblings for summer break entertainment. Mrs. King greeted me with a beaming smile, and instantly my shyness dissipated and was replaced with a newfound boldness and admiration for the awe-inspiring, golden-haired goddess standing in front of me.

What first started as adoration soon became appreciation as Mrs. King developed my love of history and culture through our daily readings of Thousand Oaks, an anthology of Native American short stories. Even though I was wary of speaking up in class discussions, Mrs. King would smile at me. It was as if she were telling me “It's okay. I value whatever you have to say.”

I felt safe and cared for in her classroom every day.
Then my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in the middle of the year. At nine years old, I never understood the reality of my mom having cancer. Looking back now, I realize how lost and confused I had been, and how much I needed for someone to understand me. I found that someone in Mrs. King. Somehow she had found out about my situation at home. Instead of pitying me, she took me aside and told me that if I ever needed to talk to someone, she would always be there for me. Although I did not know it back then, her kind words acted as a salve to all the hurt I pushed deep down.

When third grade ended, I knew that I was a stronger person because of my teacher. She taught me to be confident in myself, and that it was okay to be broken inside. Mrs. King was the most understanding of my teachers, and the one I will remember the most. She was my friend, the King.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as one of our top 11 finalists. Our editors are currently working on choosing the first place essay.

We will post all winning essay results by June 30th. You can check this page for the results after June 30th:

Posted: Monday, June 8, 2015 10:53:34 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as a runner up in our teen essay contest.

Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:03:34 PM

Hi! We wanted to let you know that we have created the Teen Trend Report for the Teacher Appreciation writing contest. Feel free to check it out and share it with friends, family and the teacher you wrote about in your winning essay.

http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandTeacherAppreciation.aspx

Thanks again for sharing your story with the world!

- Rebecca
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 3:22:15 PM