STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: My Friend, the King

eliu
Compassionate. Kind. Thoughtful. Motherly. My third grade teacher was all of these things, and more. She was my mother away from home, my counselor when I needed guidance, and my cheerleader when I did not have faith in myself.

Third grade began the same as all the other previous years. I excitedly entered a classroom for the first time in three months, ecstatic that I would be learning in a real school rather than the make-believe institution I created with my siblings for summer break entertainment. Mrs. King greeted me with a beaming smile, and instantly my shyness dissipated and was replaced with a newfound boldness and admiration for the awe-inspiring, golden-haired goddess standing in front of me.

What first started as adoration soon became appreciation as Mrs. King developed my love of history and culture through our daily readings of Thousand Oaks, an anthology of Native American short stories. Even though I was wary of speaking up in class discussions, Mrs. King would smile at me. It was as if she were telling me “It's okay. I value whatever you have to say.”

I felt safe and cared for in her classroom every day.
Then my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in the middle of the year. At nine years old, I never understood the reality of my mom having cancer. Looking back now, I realize how lost and confused I had been, and how much I needed for someone to understand me. I found that someone in Mrs. King. Somehow she had found out about my situation at home. Instead of pitying me, she took me aside and told me that if I ever needed to talk to someone, she would always be there for me. Although I did not know it back then, her kind words acted as a salve to all the hurt I pushed deep down.

When third grade ended, I knew that I was a stronger person because of my teacher. She taught me to be confident in myself, and that it was okay to be broken inside. Mrs. King was the most understanding of my teachers, and the one I will remember the most. She was my friend, the King.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as one of our top 11 finalists. Our editors are currently working on choosing the first place essay.

We will post all winning essay results by June 30th. You can check this page for the results after June 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2015 10:53:34 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as a runner up in our teen essay contest.

We will post all winning essay results by June 30th. You can check this page for the results after June 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:03:34 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

Hi! We wanted to let you know that we have created the Teen Trend Report for the Teacher Appreciation writing contest. Feel free to check it out and share it with friends, family and the teacher you wrote about in your winning essay.

http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandTeacherAppreciation.aspx

Thanks again for sharing your story with the world!

- Rebecca
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 3:22:15 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy