Teacher Appreciation: The Moment

Peacock2000
There comes a moment in every student’s life, a moment that opens their eyes, that serves as the ignition that will shape the way education affects them for the rest of their lives. My moment came in the form of my seventh grade civics teacher, when he decided on the first day of school to start the class with a question. For him, the question was a means to an end, a way to prove just how important his class was, but for me, that question was the catalysis that would serve as my inspiration for the rest of my life. “Who is the vice-president of the United States. “? He didn’t ask for a specific law or even a cabinet position, he asked just for a name, and yet not one student could answer him. That alone served as a shock, but what was more alarming was the expression on my teachers face, the acceptance in his features, he EXPECTED none of us to know the answer, and he wasn’t surprised in the least. From that moment on, I set out to prove him wrong.
My teacher probably never thought about that question again, assuming he made his point and moved on, but that question continues to impact me to this day. I dedicated myself to his class, making sure that if and when he asked another question I had the answer. I ended up falling in love with civics, and political science continues to be my passion in education. His question inspired me to go above and beyond, not only in his class but also in everything I did. In the summer before my freshman year, still on my quest to prove my teacher wrong, I took an AP Government course at a program in Princeton. I was the one of the youngest students in the program, but being exposed to intense curriculum, especially regarding a topic I love, gave me important tools and skills that most students don’t pick up until their second or third year in high school. I was able to take senior courses in my underclassman years and became one of the highest scoring students in those classes. I have also started a program at my school to educate students about politics and public policy.
Life is made up of moments, moments that will shape who we are and what we become. My teacher, in a seemingly insignificant action, created a defining moment in mine. From that one question, I found my life’s passion of politics and my life’s quest to go above and beyond the status quo. Thanks to him, he gave me the purpose of my life and taught me the most valuable lesson of all, that our actions and decisions can have a lasting impact on those around us, even if we don’t realize it.