STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: The Moment

Peacock2000
There comes a moment in every student’s life, a moment that opens their eyes, that serves as the ignition that will shape the way education affects them for the rest of their lives. My moment came in the form of my seventh grade civics teacher, when he decided on the first day of school to start the class with a question. For him, the question was a means to an end, a way to prove just how important his class was, but for me, that question was the catalysis that would serve as my inspiration for the rest of my life. “Who is the vice-president of the United States. “? He didn’t ask for a specific law or even a cabinet position, he asked just for a name, and yet not one student could answer him. That alone served as a shock, but what was more alarming was the expression on my teachers face, the acceptance in his features, he EXPECTED none of us to know the answer, and he wasn’t surprised in the least. From that moment on, I set out to prove him wrong.
My teacher probably never thought about that question again, assuming he made his point and moved on, but that question continues to impact me to this day. I dedicated myself to his class, making sure that if and when he asked another question I had the answer. I ended up falling in love with civics, and political science continues to be my passion in education. His question inspired me to go above and beyond, not only in his class but also in everything I did. In the summer before my freshman year, still on my quest to prove my teacher wrong, I took an AP Government course at a program in Princeton. I was the one of the youngest students in the program, but being exposed to intense curriculum, especially regarding a topic I love, gave me important tools and skills that most students don’t pick up until their second or third year in high school. I was able to take senior courses in my underclassman years and became one of the highest scoring students in those classes. I have also started a program at my school to educate students about politics and public policy.
Life is made up of moments, moments that will shape who we are and what we become. My teacher, in a seemingly insignificant action, created a defining moment in mine. From that one question, I found my life’s passion of politics and my life’s quest to go above and beyond the status quo. Thanks to him, he gave me the purpose of my life and taught me the most valuable lesson of all, that our actions and decisions can have a lasting impact on those around us, even if we don’t realize it.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy