STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: "Gang Signs"

rachsal14
Nothing is more exciting than watching someone talk about something they love. When they are passionate, it becomes evident through their words and expressions, and lights up the entire room. A passion such as this in the classroom is dynamite; it gets students excited and willing to learn, excited to be taught knowledge that has such a positive effect on the person teaching it. This is why students need teachers; because not everyone can be passionate about every subject. Teachers can overcome that, and by getting their students excited about the topics, they open their minds up to new areas of study.
I have been lucky to have had teachers such as this throughout my career in school, but none stand out to me more than my Honors Humanities teacher, Mr. Currie. Getting a room full of moody sophomores excited about pre-Renaissance art can be a challenging task, but with his creativity and humor, he makes it look easy. His unbounding enthusiasm for literature and the expansive knowledge that comes with it makes his class the best literature course I have ever taken. He breaks down Shakespeare in ways that finally get it to make sense, and can even get Sophocles to be engaging. High-level works of writing can be difficult to understand, as they require a different level of thought that other styles do. Mr. Currie’s class invites students to engage in that style of thinking, even if it is after they have read the piece. By thoroughly analyzing a work with his students, he makes it so that all can understand what makes it significant.
Mr. Currie’s creativity shines in making literature easier to understand. The “gang signs” he created are harmless ways to help students remember ancient Greek authors and tragedians. By holding up their “Greek wings,” three fingers on each hand, students recite and eventually memorize “Sophocles, Plato, Aristotle; Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides-you pay for them.” By making a play-on-words out of the last name, Mr. Currie entertains students as well as helps them remember a complicated name; unintentionally, he also teaches students study skills for when they need help memorizing information. Mr. Currie’s passion for art and history also help to make his class extremely interesting. His humor throughout the course makes learning about the different kinds of art fun and enjoyable. He helps students to learn the different styles and eras of art, while keeping them engaged with plenty of examples of the styles on a power-point. The joy he inspired helped me find my love for classical art, which I owe him a big thank-you for! Teachers hold such an important position, because they educate the future! Mr. Currie has helped me grow and finesse my passion for literature, and the experience of his class will stick with me for the rest of my life.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy