STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: The rose without thorns

JoanaCruz
My first year in high school was the first time I entered a public school. I had been attending a private school my whole life, and with this terrifying change, I turned into a completely isolated teenager. I did not know anybody and to add to the disaster, I was culture-shocked: there were about 60 students in a small un-air-conditioned classroom and all seemed to know each other and were rather rash. At one point, I witnessed two guys quarrel over a piece of candy and at another, I found myself crying in the Science Laboratory as the class “clowns” picked on me.

I was weak and fragile. I had no friends and felt intimidated to befriend a person in the pack. I would cry to my mother and make excuses to skip school. Until one teacher who also happened to be my adviser started paying attention to me. Her name was Rosemarie, but we called her Miss Fuentes. Miss Fuentes was young and vibrant. She filled the atmosphere with energy and positivity. But teachers can’t possibly care about inactive students, I thought. Miss Fuentes would constantly compliment my work and remind me, “You’re a good student.” She sometimes made me come early to school and made me stay with her in the lab, while she checked answer sheets. I would help with the visual aide and some other things, like buying her lunch down at the canteen when she was too busy with her business. With the affection and companionship I found in a motherly figure, I worked harder. When the first term finished, I was second in class, and would remain in the running in the next terms.

I owed my achievement to Miss Fuentes. She did not change me entirely, but she dragged me out of the corner of alienation. As the school year progressed, I got to master her way with her students. She had a habit of being friendly to each one of us. I cannot remember an occasion of her yelling at a student. She even interacted with the trouble-makers; the rest of the teachers would lose their patience and make them leave the class. She was generous and thoughtful: in the homeroom Christmas party that year, she brought a box of giveaways such as watches, purses, and sets of a mug and a pen. They were not very expensive, but considering the fact that nobody left without a gift from Miss Fuentes, what she did as a public school teacher was a huge thing.

Miss Fuentes and I parted ways in my second year in high school. By then, I had somewhat adjusted to my new environment with my determination and my mother’s comfort, and Miss Fuentes’ motivation. She redefined the essence of being an educator. Apparently, it’s not just about imparting what you know; it’s also about being an inspiration.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy