Teacher Appreciation: Living with the Ribbon

miac26
Most of the superheroes in comic books wear a cape. Capes that they wear around their neck to symbolize that they are a bit different from your average person. I am blessed enough to say that my superhero is my Spanish teacher, Mrs. Kazlauskas. She is the only superhero in my life that can make my day better with a slight smile.

But Mrs. K doesn’t wear a cape. She wears a ribbon. This ribbon is light pink, and it’s tied around her heart for the rest of her life.
Mrs. K, my superhero, my teacher, and my friend, has a story. I believe that her story is so spectacular and amazing that it deserves to be heard.

It all started last year when I was in sixth grade. Mrs. K wasn’t my teacher at the time, but she always smiled at me and I always knew she was my favorite teacher. One day, she came into my classroom, but this time she wasn’t wearing that bright smile. I couldn’t help but sense that something was wrong.

Then, Mrs. K told us her story. She had been diagnosed with cancer. In that moment, I felt like my heart shattered and I didn’t know what to do. No one deserves to feel that pain, especially not Mrs. K.

A few days later, Mrs. K came to school with a haircut. And she was wearing her stunning smile. I couldn’t help but smile back. In that instant, I knew that everything was going to be okay. Mrs. K had always been strong. Through God, we were going to kick cancer’s butt.

A couple months later, I came back to school after summer break. I was so excited to find out that Mrs. K was my Spanish teacher. She told my class the news that caused a leap of joy for everyone in the room. Mrs. K had beaten cancer. It was all over. Through the power of prayer, Mrs. K was going to be okay.

To this day, I am so grateful to be a part of her story. She has a pretty extraordinary story. But it doesn’t end there. If you knew Mrs. K like I did, you would know that she always looks out for others. So after she beat cancer, Mrs. K participated in a walk that supported survivors of cancer and those who currently have it. Her story will never end because it has left a legacy in my life.

There are no words to describe how thankful I am to know Mrs. K. I appreciate her as a friend, hero, and a teacher. Living with the ribbon can be a gift. The ribbon gave Mrs. K the gift to look to God in difficult situations. But she has not walked this journey alone. My whole school walked this journey with her. Therefore, the ribbon is tied around all of our hearts. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.