STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: You Can See Me

FullOfLaughter
It’s easy to feel invisible, alone, forgotten, insignificant but it takes dedication to bring someone back from the abyss that they’ve been flung into and few seem to try. When you’ve been abandoned and another person you needed to be there gives up on you, your descent becomes faster and you wish to feel nothing but the wind hitting your skin. Unfortunately life isn’t that simple and it becomes more difficult when you can’t escape the death grip depression has on you, pulling you deeper and deeper until you’re consumed by darkness.

Now you try to fade into the woodworks and begin to feel completely numb without even the comfort of the wind to remind you that you’re still real. This feeling becomes stronger and more crippling every time another person betrays you, leaves or simply pretends that you don’t exist. You become so used to being transparent that when someone notices the devastated look in your eyes and doesn’t ignore your ever present frown, it comes as more of a brutal crash back to reality rather than your saving grace.

That is until you see the concerned expression and no underlying disgust, shame or anger, just pure and genuine worry for you. It was the first time you remembered anyone offering you emotional support and a way out, a way to finally halt your free fall and begin to finally soar.

When you have to pay daily visits to the counselor just to get through the day, there wasn’t a hint of annoyance but a nod and a small, reassuring smile. You begin to feel like an actual person again as you have someone asking if you’re ok, constantly offering you someone to talk to and comfort or just a kind word as if grabbing your hand before you fell back into that black, endless pit.

It would’ve never crossed your mind the person who led you back into the real world and recovery would be your math teacher.

You didn’t think that she would be the first person to see the side you hid in terror of rejection, of being seen as a monster, insane and you definitely didn’t even consider that she would accept you but it’s the one reason you have hope for the future.

Now you know how I felt when someone finally saw me. Not my depression, not my grades but who I truly was. I can’t even say how much that one day changed me and I know that because of her, I will make myself whole again because she helped me take the first step.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy