Teacher Appreciation: You Can See Me

FullOfLaughter
It’s easy to feel invisible, alone, forgotten, insignificant but it takes dedication to bring someone back from the abyss that they’ve been flung into and few seem to try. When you’ve been abandoned and another person you needed to be there gives up on you, your descent becomes faster and you wish to feel nothing but the wind hitting your skin. Unfortunately life isn’t that simple and it becomes more difficult when you can’t escape the death grip depression has on you, pulling you deeper and deeper until you’re consumed by darkness.

Now you try to fade into the woodworks and begin to feel completely numb without even the comfort of the wind to remind you that you’re still real. This feeling becomes stronger and more crippling every time another person betrays you, leaves or simply pretends that you don’t exist. You become so used to being transparent that when someone notices the devastated look in your eyes and doesn’t ignore your ever present frown, it comes as more of a brutal crash back to reality rather than your saving grace.

That is until you see the concerned expression and no underlying disgust, shame or anger, just pure and genuine worry for you. It was the first time you remembered anyone offering you emotional support and a way out, a way to finally halt your free fall and begin to finally soar.

When you have to pay daily visits to the counselor just to get through the day, there wasn’t a hint of annoyance but a nod and a small, reassuring smile. You begin to feel like an actual person again as you have someone asking if you’re ok, constantly offering you someone to talk to and comfort or just a kind word as if grabbing your hand before you fell back into that black, endless pit.

It would’ve never crossed your mind the person who led you back into the real world and recovery would be your math teacher.

You didn’t think that she would be the first person to see the side you hid in terror of rejection, of being seen as a monster, insane and you definitely didn’t even consider that she would accept you but it’s the one reason you have hope for the future.

Now you know how I felt when someone finally saw me. Not my depression, not my grades but who I truly was. I can’t even say how much that one day changed me and I know that because of her, I will make myself whole again because she helped me take the first step.