Teacher Appreciation: The One Who Remembered

Karen Onyebuchi
Everyone wants to be remembered, as typical as that sounds, it is so true. I go to school in a place where it is practically impossible to remember any kid. We all wear the same dull, drab uniforms, same low-cut hair, same white socks and black sandals, same dark brown skin and jet black hair and sometimes I can't blame the teachers for never remembering us
There is nothing exceptional about me, I am smart but there are many smart people out there. I can write but there are way better writers out there. I am barely remembered by my peers. Actually, that's wrong, I am highly upheld by my peers but not for reasons I can proclaim to the world. I was basically just another face.
But something changed on the first day of 9th grade, this tall lady with a red shirt, a black a-line skirt and a fanny pack, heavy-laden with Pandora gold came in and wrote "Social Studies" in a black marker on our white board. She turned and her eyes zeroed on me and she told me to define social studies. I did it, it was something I did since 1st grade. Ever since then, I was called out to answer every single question she asked, spoke in every seminar and I became her pack mule in a good way. She told my parents that she would love to teach me till I graduate. She told me to become a politician or a Lawyer or a journalist anything I felt I was good at. I had her undue attention. I was no longer another face to Mrs. B. She saw me as a revolutionary, some one that could change something. Mrs B gave me hope, something I so sought after and she noticed me, something I so desired.