Teacher Appreciation

Irislan
If a student’s life is a candle, then his/her teacher is the match that brings light to it. Mrs. Huizing was the first match who brought warmth to my life during my first year in Canada this unfamiliar country. She lent me a patient ear despite my deficiency of English; she peered into my lonely heart when I tried to hide in my own safe haven; she reminded me the value of life is in enjoying my life instead of mere grades. Though I have always refused to admit my fondness of teachers, like many teenagers, I cannot avoid the fact that Mrs. Huizing has been my friend and mentor all along.
It was the real life story of Mrs. Huizing that really brought my heart close to hers. How can I resist to admire someone who is bold enough to confess the mistakes she made in her early years? In front of the whole school, Mrs. Huizing revealed how she was obsessed with materials and lived her life with double identities. My eyes were instantly brimmed with tears when I pictured how her kids were left alone at home because she was obsessed with work. That was exactly the environment I grew up in. Suddenly, I felt like I understood Mrs. Huizing. Because she missed so many years of memory with her children and me with my parents, and because we both realize the importance of family now, I felt so closely related to her. Not a lot of people are willing to admit their mistakes; few can actually correct them and live a better life. Thinking of how devoted Mrs. Huizing is to her family right now, I cannot help but generate more fondness towards her.
After her presentation, Mrs. Huizing and I had lunch together, during which we had a long discussion. She was aware that I had been in conflict with my mom for a while regarding to my university major. “What are you interested in?” was the first question she asked me. My heart relaxed in the sound of that question. I knew already she was on my side. Of course such a strong and independent person would encourage people to pursue their own dreams. She went on saying, “I don’t mean your mom’s advice is not worth respect, but why don’t you show her the pros of your major choice? Following your heart while avoiding disgracing your mom’s choice is possible, you know.” That is Mrs. Huizing. She regards me as an equal and independent person, while giving me advice that only experienced adults can give me. I can never feel underestimated in front of her.
“I just want you to regard me as a friend.” Mrs. Huizing said to me at the end of that day’s conversation. I nodded silently. “Maybe you have been my friend all along.” I thought.