STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation

Irislan
If a student’s life is a candle, then his/her teacher is the match that brings light to it. Mrs. Huizing was the first match who brought warmth to my life during my first year in Canada this unfamiliar country. She lent me a patient ear despite my deficiency of English; she peered into my lonely heart when I tried to hide in my own safe haven; she reminded me the value of life is in enjoying my life instead of mere grades. Though I have always refused to admit my fondness of teachers, like many teenagers, I cannot avoid the fact that Mrs. Huizing has been my friend and mentor all along.
It was the real life story of Mrs. Huizing that really brought my heart close to hers. How can I resist to admire someone who is bold enough to confess the mistakes she made in her early years? In front of the whole school, Mrs. Huizing revealed how she was obsessed with materials and lived her life with double identities. My eyes were instantly brimmed with tears when I pictured how her kids were left alone at home because she was obsessed with work. That was exactly the environment I grew up in. Suddenly, I felt like I understood Mrs. Huizing. Because she missed so many years of memory with her children and me with my parents, and because we both realize the importance of family now, I felt so closely related to her. Not a lot of people are willing to admit their mistakes; few can actually correct them and live a better life. Thinking of how devoted Mrs. Huizing is to her family right now, I cannot help but generate more fondness towards her.
After her presentation, Mrs. Huizing and I had lunch together, during which we had a long discussion. She was aware that I had been in conflict with my mom for a while regarding to my university major. “What are you interested in?” was the first question she asked me. My heart relaxed in the sound of that question. I knew already she was on my side. Of course such a strong and independent person would encourage people to pursue their own dreams. She went on saying, “I don’t mean your mom’s advice is not worth respect, but why don’t you show her the pros of your major choice? Following your heart while avoiding disgracing your mom’s choice is possible, you know.” That is Mrs. Huizing. She regards me as an equal and independent person, while giving me advice that only experienced adults can give me. I can never feel underestimated in front of her.
“I just want you to regard me as a friend.” Mrs. Huizing said to me at the end of that day’s conversation. I nodded silently. “Maybe you have been my friend all along.” I thought.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy