Teacher Appreciation: The One Who Really Taught Me

briecra
Teachers are often under appreciated. Students take advantage of the people who teach them subjects they do not find real matter in. The question of "how could I ever use this in the real world?" is always brought up because they do not look past their own ignorant mindsets. As a freshman in high school, I was lucky enough to come across an extraordinary woman, teacher, role model, and mother. In the past three years she has managed to teach me about geometry, honors algebra, swimming, relationships, friendships, and life lessons that I will carry with me for the rest of my days. Mrs. Kotnik has impacted me greatly and I can never thank her enough.

Growing up, students and children come across many fine adults. Mrs. Kotnik is a teacher who always searched for the most lucid way to explain every lesson. She is not the type of teacher to just assign something and expect students to figure it out on their own. She allows students to help one another and gives us a boost when needed. I always succeeded in her classes. I had her for three classes and received an A in all because she helped me to thoroughly understand the material. I never once felt like I was left hanging. In her classroom, it felt like there was nobody left behind.

Along with excellent teaching, her classroom always has a positive vibe. She makes students feel comfortable by poking fun with her sarcastic sense of humor. She is the type of person that I was able to go to with anything. I felt so at ease in her presence and even though I no longer have her as a teacher, I still have her. In struggles of friendships and relationships, she offers advice and input without crossing a line. She has guided me through many situations. Of course there have been scenarios that do not always have a solution, but she still offers comfort and advises as best she can.

One example of a situation she influenced greatly was when I was indecisive about whether or not I should join the swim team. As a freshman, I played water polo. When swim season came around I did not think I would enjoy it. Mrs. Kotnik used to be a swim coach and she talked so passionately about it. She encouraged me to at least try it out and see how i liked it. I ended up loving it. Swim became a huge part of my life and I have been swimming for the past three years. I managed to drop incredible amounts of time when I applied myself. Not only was the sport itself amazing, but the team experience was incredible and I made so many great friendships. I also learned a lot about technique. Without a helping hand I do not believe I would have even considered participating.

More than anything, Mrs. Kotnik has been a friend and a huge supporter for me. I confided in her about things as silly as crushes to things as serious as my stepmom and dad splitting up. She never judged me and always did as much as she could to help me out in any way I needed. She would bring her twin babies to the swim meets and watch me and other students swim. She cheered us on. It is always nice to have a friendly face supporting you in something you both love.

Without meeting this incredible woman, I do not think my high school experience would have been the same. I will carry so many lessons she taught me with me for the rest of my life. From unit circles, to "there will be other boys," to "don't give up," she has inspired me to be open minded and try to find the positive in everything.