STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: The One Who Really Taught Me

briecra
Teachers are often under appreciated. Students take advantage of the people who teach them subjects they do not find real matter in. The question of "how could I ever use this in the real world?" is always brought up because they do not look past their own ignorant mindsets. As a freshman in high school, I was lucky enough to come across an extraordinary woman, teacher, role model, and mother. In the past three years she has managed to teach me about geometry, honors algebra, swimming, relationships, friendships, and life lessons that I will carry with me for the rest of my days. Mrs. Kotnik has impacted me greatly and I can never thank her enough.

Growing up, students and children come across many fine adults. Mrs. Kotnik is a teacher who always searched for the most lucid way to explain every lesson. She is not the type of teacher to just assign something and expect students to figure it out on their own. She allows students to help one another and gives us a boost when needed. I always succeeded in her classes. I had her for three classes and received an A in all because she helped me to thoroughly understand the material. I never once felt like I was left hanging. In her classroom, it felt like there was nobody left behind.

Along with excellent teaching, her classroom always has a positive vibe. She makes students feel comfortable by poking fun with her sarcastic sense of humor. She is the type of person that I was able to go to with anything. I felt so at ease in her presence and even though I no longer have her as a teacher, I still have her. In struggles of friendships and relationships, she offers advice and input without crossing a line. She has guided me through many situations. Of course there have been scenarios that do not always have a solution, but she still offers comfort and advises as best she can.

One example of a situation she influenced greatly was when I was indecisive about whether or not I should join the swim team. As a freshman, I played water polo. When swim season came around I did not think I would enjoy it. Mrs. Kotnik used to be a swim coach and she talked so passionately about it. She encouraged me to at least try it out and see how i liked it. I ended up loving it. Swim became a huge part of my life and I have been swimming for the past three years. I managed to drop incredible amounts of time when I applied myself. Not only was the sport itself amazing, but the team experience was incredible and I made so many great friendships. I also learned a lot about technique. Without a helping hand I do not believe I would have even considered participating.

More than anything, Mrs. Kotnik has been a friend and a huge supporter for me. I confided in her about things as silly as crushes to things as serious as my stepmom and dad splitting up. She never judged me and always did as much as she could to help me out in any way I needed. She would bring her twin babies to the swim meets and watch me and other students swim. She cheered us on. It is always nice to have a friendly face supporting you in something you both love.

Without meeting this incredible woman, I do not think my high school experience would have been the same. I will carry so many lessons she taught me with me for the rest of my life. From unit circles, to "there will be other boys," to "don't give up," she has inspired me to be open minded and try to find the positive in everything.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy