STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: The Value of an Exceptional Teacher

Kaylee B.
Teacher Appreciation: The Value of an Exceptional Teacher

It is an average day in the best English class ever: my teacher, Ms. Le, commences the period with her usual enthusiastic greeting, “GOOD MORNING CLASS!” Jolted awake by her emphatic vociferation, we dutifully attempt to respond with just as much vivacity: “GOOD MORNING, MS. LE!” It is suprising how much boisterousness can emerge from her small frame. After our routine exchange of courtesies, Ms. Le interacts with us further, attempting to learn more about our lives while sharing a bit about her hectic one in a house with three lively children. More often than not, we will share a laugh as well. I am always smiling for the duration of her class.
Many times, teachers will merely pile on assignments and give lackluster lectures, becoming detached from their students. However, Ms. Le is different. Her daily conversation with the class establishes a friendly atmosphere that unites us and shows that she understands and cares about today’s youth. Ms. Le’s lessons are not restricted to just the English language; she is real with her students and gives us valuable insight to help us through our young lives as well.
While we do have lots of fun, Ms. Le’s class comes with a heavy load of coursework and a challenge or two. With a gleeful gleam in her eye that both excites and mildly frightens students, Ms. Le begins to explain her expectations for our next big essay. I sit up straighter in my chair as Ms. Le presents her detailed instructions firmly, setting a standard that grows higher and higher with each guideline given to us. Like nervous racehorses anxious to bolt at the starting gun, the class earnestly sets to work. Ms. Le then morphs back into her motherly, affable self and assures us that we will receive “A’s all around!”
Although Ms. Le may appear to be more of a friend than a teacher at times, she maintains the perfect balance of strictness that earns the respect and admiration of her students. Demanding excellence, Ms. Le motivates students to actually desire to learn more from each assignment and to present their best work. Sometimes, a teacher’s lack of passion in educating students leads them to complete the minimum task required of them in order to receive satisfactory grades and simply “get through the class.” The issue surrounding this situation is that students attempt to memorize the material expressly to earn an adequate score on the next test, failing to recall important information later. As a result, many students today do not hunger to learn; they are merely concerned with their grades and not the breadth of their knowledge, which holds a greater significance as they will need to apply it in differing circumstances throughout their everyday lives. With her high expectations, Ms. Le instills a feeling of great responsibility for the material in her students, ingraining important writing conventions and other tools for success into our minds. The high level of work that Ms. Le requires motivates students to desire to put in their best effort in order to perform well and earn the respect of such a cool teacher.
As the end of the year draws near, I reflect on the great experience had by all the students and wide range of topics learned while studying with Ms. Le. Although I am sad to leave her class, I feel confident that I am prepared for any challenge that may come my way.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy