Teacher Appreciation: A Guide For the Rest of Your Life

glee6262
By the time I graduate from high school, I will have spent about 10,000 hours at school being instructed by more than 30 teachers.

In the beginning of those 10,000 hours, on the first day of high school, I walked into Mr. Sabo’s English 9 class, an oblivious freshman quite unaware of the impact the class would have on me for the rest of my life. On that first day, Mr. Sabo asked us to write a reflection on who we are and bring it to share with the class the next day. This task was an easy one for me, because who doesn’t love talking about themselves? Additionally, English had always been one of my favorite classes, as well as a subject that came easily to me. However, the very next week, we wrote an analytical paragraph on Robert Frost’s “Fire and Ice” poem.

September 13, 2013. It was the day we got our analytical paragraphs back, and the first time I had ever received below an A on an English assignment. Not even a B, but a solid C. At first, I refused to even look at the feedback I was given. When the shock subsided after the school day, I pulled out my paper and read through it once more with a fresh set of eyes. I gritted my teeth as I realized Mr. Sabo’s corrections made sense.

It was the first time my pride had been demolished in English class. I had always been told I was a talented writer. Nonetheless, the critique only propelled me into pushing beyond my comfort zone as a writer. For the rest of the year, I thought even more deeply about the literature we read and how my writing could reflect and connect it with the present. I became more aware of the technical errors in my writing. Mr. Sabo wasn’t afraid to tell me what to do to make me a better writer, which only motivated me.

There are various types of teachers, which is natural because people are different.
While Mr. Sabo may not be everyone’s favorite teacher (the cheerful and encouraging one), he was the most influential teacher I have ever had so far. From him, I learned many valuable lessons about who I am as a student, writer, work ethic, responsibility, and how to take criticism, the lesson I consider the most important because it is so relevant to every aspect of life. I would not have discovered how to become better, which I apply to other areas of my life such as academics, athletics, and community service, without his high expectations. Teachers are given to students to help them discover their passion and teach them values that will guide them for the rest of their life. In the hours I spent in Mr. Sabo's English class, I found who I was and how to make myself who I wanted to become. Thank you, Mr. Sabo, for seeing the potential in me and holding me to the foremost of standards.