Teacher Appreciation: Last Summer

aj_adlawon
My life as it is, never felt as if something was amiss. Little did I know, a single season was all it took to show.
It has been 16 years since I first caught sight of this vast planet. 16 years of being alive in this world and it showed me the truth that there is more to life than what I can ever hope to see.
Her gray eyes, curly brown hair, and demeanor that speak of intelligence and strictness, was something I once feared. She exuded discipline while maintaining that warm smile on her face. Back then, I did not know her. She did not know me. But that was about to change when she became our Biology teacher.
They said her subject was difficult. It was, in fact, an understatement. But they loved her. Back then, I didn’t get why they liked her when every single time we had a quiz I almost always felt that same feeling of frustration and when returned two days after, that same feeling of disappointment. Throughout the year, I could barely count the number of times I failed her quizzes. But little by little, I began to understand her more than what she taught inside the four corners of our classroom.
Her way of teaching was unique. It was as if she had that power to draw your attention to whatever she was saying. She did not merely want to answer the questions of what, she wanted the why and how. She made every lesson and every meeting filled with a package of emotions – excitement, frustration, disappointment and surprise.
Despite all the failures, she was able to make us learn and understand a part of the wonders of our world. At that point in time, I already liked her. We are teacher and student, yet we are friends.
I remember during our Christmas party, I was her Kriss Kringle. Every week, we gave advance presents secretly. She never really knew it until during the day our class exchanged gifts. When asked to describe her, I said, “She has 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, and 13 months a year” which fit perfectly with how organized she was.
She was surprised. And I too, was, when she suddenly hugged me. Up to this day, she remains my teacher, an exemplary mother, and someone I continually admire. Beyond everything, she taught me the value of hard work.
Indeed, there are things in life that you can never fully learn until you experience them the hard way. These things are the most difficult to achieve for they require a strong heart that can withstand failures and an open mind to accept corrections. But once you manage to grab them with your own hands, you find that feeling of satisfaction, that, after the long drive and countless detours, you have finally reached home.
And this is the story of one summer of my life.