Teacher Appreciation: Effort where it counts

Sanderson1015
The best teacher I’ve ever had was my 9th grade English teacher Mr. Basset. He puts effort into everything he does, whether or not its appearance, school, or his family and the first noticeable thing about him is his appearance. While not vibrant, is enough for any student to recognize him. Khaki pants or jeans with a belt, a polo shirt tucked into his pants, and meticulously combed hair. He gives a good first impression off to any first time students or parents, and this is the first step in being a good teacher.
Secondly, he knows that we’re kids. When we work on group projects, he always lets us pick groups, but with a catch. “You can’t switch groups due to “not liking” a member or idea so chose wisely.” He gives us enough freedom to feel like we have freedom, but reels us in to make sure we don’t slack off either. It’s a fair balance between the two, something most teachers are too lazy or strict to try. Mr. Basset has a unique understanding of High School students in that we like to laugh and have fun, but we’re also here to learn. So while certain teachers do it for the pay check, Mr. Basset clearly understands that if he doesn’t allow us to let loose and laugh for a minute or two in class, we won’t be motivated to learn. If I hadn’t been encouraged by his teaching this year, my grade would’ve been a lot lower, possibly a failing grade.
Last but not least is, he’s strict, but in a good way. Mr. Basset could teach my parents a thing or two about patience, because Mr. Basset seems to have an infinite supply. It’s quite amazing. Instead of yelling or slapping his hands together to get our attention, he either calmly waits, or raises his voice enough to where we can hear him and know to stop. And because of this, students aren’t scared to crack a joke or spout a one-liner in his class because they know that one, Mr. Basset doesn’t mind and two, everyone else will actually laugh. It’s because of the way he teaches us that many of us are going to Honors English 10 next year, when many of us thought we were going to an on level course. It’s a testament to him, and his ability as a teacher that we have come this far in only a year. Hopefully he is recognized soon by his peers, because if I could, I would give him teacher of the year for Forsyth County Schools.