STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: Effort where it counts

Sanderson1015
The best teacher I’ve ever had was my 9th grade English teacher Mr. Basset. He puts effort into everything he does, whether or not its appearance, school, or his family and the first noticeable thing about him is his appearance. While not vibrant, is enough for any student to recognize him. Khaki pants or jeans with a belt, a polo shirt tucked into his pants, and meticulously combed hair. He gives a good first impression off to any first time students or parents, and this is the first step in being a good teacher.
Secondly, he knows that we’re kids. When we work on group projects, he always lets us pick groups, but with a catch. “You can’t switch groups due to “not liking” a member or idea so chose wisely.” He gives us enough freedom to feel like we have freedom, but reels us in to make sure we don’t slack off either. It’s a fair balance between the two, something most teachers are too lazy or strict to try. Mr. Basset has a unique understanding of High School students in that we like to laugh and have fun, but we’re also here to learn. So while certain teachers do it for the pay check, Mr. Basset clearly understands that if he doesn’t allow us to let loose and laugh for a minute or two in class, we won’t be motivated to learn. If I hadn’t been encouraged by his teaching this year, my grade would’ve been a lot lower, possibly a failing grade.
Last but not least is, he’s strict, but in a good way. Mr. Basset could teach my parents a thing or two about patience, because Mr. Basset seems to have an infinite supply. It’s quite amazing. Instead of yelling or slapping his hands together to get our attention, he either calmly waits, or raises his voice enough to where we can hear him and know to stop. And because of this, students aren’t scared to crack a joke or spout a one-liner in his class because they know that one, Mr. Basset doesn’t mind and two, everyone else will actually laugh. It’s because of the way he teaches us that many of us are going to Honors English 10 next year, when many of us thought we were going to an on level course. It’s a testament to him, and his ability as a teacher that we have come this far in only a year. Hopefully he is recognized soon by his peers, because if I could, I would give him teacher of the year for Forsyth County Schools.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy