Teacher Appreciation: Middle School Memories

elakino
Fourth period ASB was the highlight of my day for the majority of my eighth grade year. I remember half jogging half walking from my previous class, which consisted of a dreadful hour of physical activity, into the tightly cramped ASB store. Since the locker room was so close to the store I would be the first one to come bounding inside to see our advisor, Mr. Schroeder already up and ready to greet the next class. Out of all the teachers I have come to know in my thirteen years of school, Mr. Schroeder has definitely shaped me as an adolescent and therefore my future as well.
I remember thinking the class would be a breeze, with my greatest of worries being that the teal paint has run out for a poster or that my favorite chips were out of stock. It was natural that my classmates and I were upset when we were assigned a final project for the first semester. To this day, that was one of the most life changing assignments I have ever been forced to complete.
The first was to create a CD, one that composed of eight songs that best reflected who you were at the time being. Each song had a category, for instance "A Song About A Friend", "A Song that Makes You Happy", and more. Looking back on this project now just fills my heart with joy because I can confidently say that this helped me realize my intense love for music.
Up until that point music had been background noise, it would be a nice filler space and way to waste time. But thanks to Mr. Schroeder and his love for music, I was able to fully appreciate what music has done for my personality as a teenager. Even more important at the time, was how this also helped me grow closer to this influential teacher. The first conversation I had with him that did not concern spirit days or picking up trash around campus was about music. And thus began a friendship with one of my favorite teachers of all time.
That year was a tough one for a girl at my age, for reasons I wish not to discuss. What I will say is that I confided in Mr. Schroeder with ease and without hesitation. I respected and trusted him enough to not only listen but advise me as well. Sure enough, that's what he did. Not once in the remaining school year did he ever fail to come to my aide and just listen to me spill my thoughts out. In all honesty, I trusted him more than some of my own friends at the time.
Unfortunately, he left the school before I was ever able to mature a few years, to where I am now, and come back to thank him for everything that he did for me. Someday I hope I get the chance to run into him somewhere just so I can tell him how much of an impact he had on my growing up. I probably would not be the person I am today without an influence as strong as his.