Teacher Appreciation: Storytelling Substitute

emer]
My junior year of high school I chose to take psychology as one of my electives. For a couple weeks, my teacher left school to go on an exchange program with her Spanish students and traveled to Spain. So in the time that she was absent, only one substitute filled her spot. He was also a tall Hispanic man, who was bulky in size and wore glasses with rectangular frames. His life stories were the best part of class that always brings attention to the students. This one story in particular changed my view on life from that moment forward.
Although my memory is quite fuzzy, the summation of what the story consisted of still lifts up my mood every time. My substitute, Mr. Godoy, had a family friend that lived south of California, Tijuana. What he mentioned to the class about her was in order to drive to work it took roughly three hours. That’s probably not even the sad part, she had to endure the same amount of time driving back home, and she did this on a daily basis due to her being a school teacher. Mr. Godoy questioned her persistence in spending her time and gas on a school that has the ability to be replaced by a school much closer to where she lived. She simply stated that she felt that she needed to be there for those kids, because they need her help.
I believe she was going back and forth to that school was due to the only job that was available where she lived, and she wanted to go to school for a teaching position, so she was working there in the meantime. I do recall Mr. Godoy speaking of a time when they did not speak for a while due to life getting in the way. Once he got the chance to catch up with the lady’s father, he mentioned that she was able to get into a school that provided her with a teaching credential, in the United States. He commented that her life was full of misery and I’m sure she felt like she would never get out of the rut that she made going to work too far for her convenience. But she continued striving for her goal, and accomplished what she started.
Although I’m unaware if this story Mr. Godoy told the class is real or not, it still impacted me in a way I would have never thought it would. At the time of my junior year, I underwent my second huge heart break. Being a young teen, I caused myself to believe that my life is over, and I would never be able to find anyone for me. But after listening and letting the story really soak in, it truly helped me to get back on my feet and remind myself that any hardship is only temporary, and life will always get better in the end.