I Am Thankful For My Country

MaryTobin
I am a woman. I can peacefully protest. I can wear above-the-knee shorts in public. I can openly criticize the government. I can search anything on the internet and rest assured that my search return has not been censored. I can have siblings without my parents carrying a heavy tax burden. I can vote. I can order clothing online. I can spend hours waiting outside a crowded storefront. I can eat pie, watch football, and sleep during a national holiday dedicated to giving thanks. I can compare sources. I can listen to rap music. I can look a man in the eye. I can succeed in the classroom and the workplace. I have access to healthcare. I have access to clean drinking water. I have access to a free education. I can take my sexuality into my own hands. I can make my own reproductive decisions. I can get angry about trivial things. I am encouraged to broaden my scope of the world. I can practice whatever religion I wish.
I think many people, including myself, take all these things for granted. Everyone should take a moment to sit down and think about all the benefits we have over those who live in third world countries. Not everyone may agree with everything on this list, but, if you're reading this, you've already won the birth lottery. At least be thankful for that.