Teacher Appreciation: A Letter to my Piano Teacher

wfang
Dear Ms. Jessica,

Even though I haven't seen you in over three years, I think about you often. I think about how much you taught me and how grateful I am to have had you as my piano teacher. I think about how the skills you engrained in me have made me a better person.
The hours of slaving over the eighty-eight keys has taught me skills beyond simply how to play "Fur Elise." The twenty times you made me practice those four measures instilled in me the importance of not cheating the process. Yes, you were right. I would not have memorized the song with only nineteen times. The four octaves of scales and arpeggios you had me practice every week showed me that without a cemented foundation, there is no point in even attempting to play Mozart or Bach. The soft, melodic pieces you had me play forced me to be graceful, something my twelve-year old self could not hope to be without instruction.
The way you respected me molded me into believing that I deserve nothing less. I remember how when I didn't practice, you sat there, disappointed, holding a cup of hot tea in your hand, and waiting for me to play the piece as well as you knew I could. I remember the multiple times our lessons went on to past midnight, even when you were sick. I remember you setting aside time for me to come to your houses to practice, prioritizing my success as a pianist above personal matters. I remember when you spoke to me about how costly your lessons were, but that my parents were willing to pay that for me so I should make it worth it. I remember when you told me that I was not reaching my highest potential, the potential you saw in me after our first lesson when I was six. I remember you reminiscing about my childhood with me, recalling the times I fell asleep and drooled all over the couch at your old house. I remember how loved I felt, how loved I know I am.
So, Ms. Jessica, thank you, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not visiting you more. I'm sorry for not practicing more. I'm sorry for not being as good as I could have been.
And thank you. Thank you for believing me and pushing me past what I thought were my limits. Thank you for persevering with me through those ten long years and for welcoming me into your home as your own daughter. Thank you for teaching me more than how to play an instrument. Thank you for teaching me how to be a respectable person.
Honestly, I know where I'd be without music. I'd have grown passionate about drawing or swimming or computers. But, I don't know who I'd be with you. You have been such a paramount figure in my life, and the impact you made will always be with me.

Love,
Wicia