Teacher Appreciation: The Honored Living

cloudchan2
Four plus seven years ago a young girl was brought forth onto a new school, a new classroom and teacher, conceived in Discipline, and dedicated to the proposition that even Kindergartners must be strictly and uncompromisingly educated.

That young girl was me. And in other words, I had been placed into the class with the strictest teacher possible; the class led by a teacher known for rigidity and sternness far beyond that of most Kindergarten teachers. So strict was she that some parents withdrew their children in fear that she would damage their fragile little children’s confidence, in fear that she would taint their children with a dose of the real world before their pure young hearts were ready to experience it.

My parents however, hearing from fellow Asian parents that her strictness made for the best education, forced me to stay.
And so, along with the classmates of mine that had also been unable to escape, I stayed and endured; I made it through what I had thought at the time to be the worst experience of my life. But now I am ever grateful for her high expectations, which I had as a child foolishly mistaken for cruelty.

She expected the best out of us at all times, at all things, be it math or art or manners. If a student did poorly in math, she drilled them until they got it. If a student did a shoddy job at coloring, leaving white space, she would not accept their work until it was full and even. And if a student burped in class or did something of equivalent vulgarity, she stressed and shouted the importance of manners to them until they didn't dare to do it again. She expected the best out of us at all times, at all things, even if she had to make us cry or hate her.

And make us cry she did, and more than once. Thus we called her a monster (the worst word we knew at the time) and made faces at her behind her back. We despised her from the bottom of our teeny-tiny hearts and immature brains.

But as time passed and foolish grudges withered away, we realized what a gem, an angel, she was. For through her stringency, she taught us far better than any regular Kindergarten teacher.

From her, I learned to never give up and always give things my all, to never accept mediocrity when it is clear that I can do much better. She instilled in me manners and knowledge of basic societal customs, which I had gone into school without much knowledge or enforcement of because my preschool teachers had never bothered to introduce them in me. Cliche as it sounds, without her, I would never have become even half the person that I am today.

And so I recount my memories of her here in the hopes that her legacy of greatness, by her, for us, shall not perish from the earth.