Teacher Appreciation: Finding the Spark

dshinn12
I’ve had very inadequate teachers, who often times made me question if they should even be teaching. On the other hand, I’ve met a few great, inspirational teachers. One of whom was my sixth grade teacher, Ms. Wilber. She is the sole reason I have been able to survive both middle and high school with a high GPA, and I cannot thank her enough for having such a huge impact on my life.
I am an immigrant from Korea. I had not been in America for very long when I met Ms. Wilber, and like most immigrants, I was very reserved and unapproachable by most of my peers. The fact that I had just moved schools did not help with this dilemma. When I first came to class, I expected the year to be the same as any other school year, not trying too hard to stand out or make many friends because I wasn’t very interested in school. However, Ms. Wilber had a very different approach. She called on me more than anyone else, but more importantly she believed in me. All my previous teachers, and even teachers I had after, did not pay much special attention to me or believed that I could accomplish more than I seemed to be able to. Ms. Wilber was completely different; she always told me that I had the ability to solve the difficult math problems she assigned if I just put in the effort. She lit up the spark in me that ultimately motivated me to start doing well and being passionate about everything I participate in. She truly inspired me to voluntarily participate in after-school clubs and being attentive of my school grades. She stood out as the best teacher I have had because she actively put effort into changing me into a better, well-rounded student.
She did not just influence me in school, but outside of school as well. She was a proud winner of $20,000 for her excellence in the STEM field. Instead of spending the money on herself, she decided to donate the money to her school. Not only was she very intelligent and creative, she also had a big heart. I would be lucky just to be able to follow her footsteps because I know I will never be as generous and thoughtful as she was. Despite my lack of generosity, she shaped me to become a much more considerate student.
Ms. Wilber possessed every trait a student can possibly ask for in a teacher. She was very intelligent, caring, and generous. Unlike any other teacher, she taught me more than just studies; she taught me to be kind to others, and to be passionate. She ultimately led to all the endeavors I have been able to accomplish.