STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: Finding the Spark

dshinn12
I’ve had very inadequate teachers, who often times made me question if they should even be teaching. On the other hand, I’ve met a few great, inspirational teachers. One of whom was my sixth grade teacher, Ms. Wilber. She is the sole reason I have been able to survive both middle and high school with a high GPA, and I cannot thank her enough for having such a huge impact on my life.
I am an immigrant from Korea. I had not been in America for very long when I met Ms. Wilber, and like most immigrants, I was very reserved and unapproachable by most of my peers. The fact that I had just moved schools did not help with this dilemma. When I first came to class, I expected the year to be the same as any other school year, not trying too hard to stand out or make many friends because I wasn’t very interested in school. However, Ms. Wilber had a very different approach. She called on me more than anyone else, but more importantly she believed in me. All my previous teachers, and even teachers I had after, did not pay much special attention to me or believed that I could accomplish more than I seemed to be able to. Ms. Wilber was completely different; she always told me that I had the ability to solve the difficult math problems she assigned if I just put in the effort. She lit up the spark in me that ultimately motivated me to start doing well and being passionate about everything I participate in. She truly inspired me to voluntarily participate in after-school clubs and being attentive of my school grades. She stood out as the best teacher I have had because she actively put effort into changing me into a better, well-rounded student.
She did not just influence me in school, but outside of school as well. She was a proud winner of $20,000 for her excellence in the STEM field. Instead of spending the money on herself, she decided to donate the money to her school. Not only was she very intelligent and creative, she also had a big heart. I would be lucky just to be able to follow her footsteps because I know I will never be as generous and thoughtful as she was. Despite my lack of generosity, she shaped me to become a much more considerate student.
Ms. Wilber possessed every trait a student can possibly ask for in a teacher. She was very intelligent, caring, and generous. Unlike any other teacher, she taught me more than just studies; she taught me to be kind to others, and to be passionate. She ultimately led to all the endeavors I have been able to accomplish.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy