Teacher Appreciation: Loving What You Do

clarksona17
There are great things everywhere you look. They can come from any place, even from somewhere as daunting as school. When most people hear the word school, they think of tests, obnoxious students and worn-out teachers. While these things do exist, most people forget to consider the easy tests, the nice students, and the lively teachers. For instance, my chemistry teacher, addressed as Miss Breen, is the best science teacher I have ever had.

My prior science instructors have all been serious and uptight. Miss Breen is different. She is funny, understanding, and lenient. Despite these things, the most amazing characteristic she has is her extreme love of chemistry. A teacher who likes their subject but does not get excited about it can be disheartening. Miss Breen is in love with chemistry, and her excitement carries over to her students. Granted, most of the teenagers do not look at it that way. I might be the only one who sees it as inspiring.

Watching Miss Breen perform a class demonstration and hearing her constantly commenting on how “cool” and “awesome” it is, makes me so happy. I have never had an hour-long class period pass so quickly before. The only time I do not like the class is when there is a hard test or lab that day. She positively impacts my life almost every class period I have with her. That little hour of happiness can turn my entire day around. I do not think enough students take the time to appreciate when teachers love what they do.

When I think about it, it is just a huge shock to me. It is uncommon, at least where I attend school, for teachers to show their students that they love what they teach. I think most instructors get caught up in the rude students and forget that class can still be fun. This is why I love Miss Breen. I am not sure that I will ever fully understand how she can be so excited and happy every day. It seems like something so insignificant, but it means a lot to me.

There are great things everywhere you look, if you choose to see them.