Teacher Appreciation: My Life Impacted

EmmaDanelle
Not everyone enjoys school. Sometimes I don't, either. There are times, though, when I am glad to have had the teachers that I did, even the ones I didn't like as much. I have had too many teachers. I have gone to 5 different schools since kindergarten, and I have been exposed to many different teachers and methods.

I have had a bad teacher. He tried to be "one of the kids" using modern teen humor, when in reality it made him look extremely unprofessional. Since deciding that he wasn't really a good teacher for me, I realized that he impacted my life. Most people would think that a bad teacher would most likely impact you in a negative way, however, this one didn't. This teacher just taught me a lesson. I learned from him that sometimes what teens these days believe is "normal," or just "life" is not always good. I have refrained from following the footprints that our society is making. Instead, I make my own.

I believe that learning should come from mistakes before being told what is right. I don't want to be the same as other people. I want to make my own path. That is why I like English teachers who give me styles of writing and let me write what I want to. My English teacher teaches in units. She gave us a poetry unit recently and she taught us 4 different styles of poems and we could write about whatever we wanted to (as long as it was school appropriate). This style to me is the best way to teach because it allows students to express themselves. Self-expression is extremely important now-a-days especially since schools' funds are being cut and losing a lot of their art and music programs. Soon students will not be able to self-express because everyone will be following the same curriculum. I'm terrified of losing the art and music programs. I feel like we will become somewhat robots. It's extremely scary to think about.

If all teachers were to use the self-expression method like my English teacher, I believe I would enjoy school much more, and so will others. Using this method allows students to become their own person and decide what they want or like. After all of the different teaching methods from different schools in my life, I don't know where I want to go. I want to become a journalist, but I also want to be a music teacher. I want to play professional sports, but I also want to be a nurse. I hope that as I grow farther into my English class with this teacher I will decide what I want. It is still early, but it's still something I need to think about, no matter what age or grade I am in.