I'm Thankful for My Parents.

TDelgado003
11/24/2010

Dear Diary,

Right around this time of year everyone sits at a dinner table to give thanks for the food placed in front of them. Unfortunately, this is usually the only thing that people like me give thanks for. We are oblivious to being healthy, or being united as a family, or even giving thanks for having parents.

This past weekend, my appreciation for having parents was overcome by gratitude. I visited His House Children’s Home, a foster home in Miami, for a volunteer orientation. At the orientation, we were told about the code of conduct and some volunteer guidelines. In addition, they showed a video that would impact anyone with a heart. In the video, they demonstrated the way some of these children ended up in the foster home. In most cases, the police called in and explained the situation, either the children’s parents had been killed in a car accident, or their parents had been arrested, and the children had no one to take care of them.

After the orientation, we were taken to one of the houses where the foster children lived. It was at this moment that I remembered the gratitude I should feel for having parents. Seeing our group come into their house, all the kid’s smiles reached from one ear to the other. Observing this, I approached one of the boys, and told him to give me five. He grabbed my hand, and didn’t let go. He said, “Don’t leave yet, we can go play freeze tag outside, please.”

Hearing this truly impacted me greatly, and I promised him I would request to volunteer at his house to play freeze tag with him. I’m still in the process of becoming a volunteer though.

According to the fifth commandment, you shall honor your father and mother. I can follow that commandment, yet these foster children cannot, and because of the fact that I can honor my father and my mother, I am thankful for having them both. I am thankful for having two loving parents that care for me when I’m sick, taking me to the doctor, paying for any medication the doctor prescribes me, and cooking soup to make my stomach feel better.

I am thankful for having two parents that will paradoxically scold me in a loving way. No one knows you better than your parents. They know how to talk to you, give you the right advice, and tell you not to make the mistakes they made.

I am thankful for having two parents that will support me in anything I do. If I come up with the idea of going into karate, there they are, taking me to karate class every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. If I want to take dual-enrollment classes at Miami-Dade College, there they are, taking me to class.

Basically, I’m thankful for having two loving, supportive, and even scolding parents, whom I will always love with all of my heart.