Teacher Appreciation: Mrs. Stahlman

bvissicchio
Teacher Appreciation: No First Grade Fears
Throughout my experience in school, I have encountered some teachers that I like, and some that I don’t. When I’m asked the question of who my favorite teacher is, I immediately think of my first grade teacher, Mrs. Stahlman. In my opinion, she had all the qualities every great teacher should have. She never once raised her voice at any student no matter what the situation, which created a calm and peaceful environment in school every day. She was always smiling which in return made all the students happy as well. As I got older, I became more and more shy. Because of that, I was unable to form any good relationships with my teachers recently, but I still managed to maintain a good relationship with Mrs. Stahlman. For a few years after first grade, we sent letters back and forth so we could keep in touch. I have never had as good a relationship with any other teacher as I did with her.
Being a teacher can be difficult, I would know since my mother is a teacher. They don’t get the recognition they deserve. Especially with being an elementary school teacher, some people may think that their jobs are unimportant. I disagree with that, as I think that elementary school teachers have the most difficult job of all the levels of education. Mrs. Stahlman deserves a lot of credit, though. I was in an inclusion class in first grade, and some students gave her big problems every day, yet she still managed to maintain a peaceful environment which made students want to come to school every day. Although she had the help of two other teachers, she was always the one who ended up solving the majority of the problems. She always had something new and exciting for us to do every day so that we weren’t bored in class. When I was in first grade, I wasn’t as shy as I am now, but being shy has always been a part of my personality. She knew that if we were bored she wouldn’t have an easy time teaching a class full of seven year olds. She knew how to reach us, and especially me, since we had such a good relationship and she knew what my personality was like.
The qualities Mrs. Stahlman had, I believe every teacher should have. She had an exceptional amount of patience, intelligence, and kindness. When I think of her, the first quality that comes to mind would be how kind she always was. Although I know as I grow up, the teachers I will encounter are much more strict, but I hope to come across another teacher like her throughout my career in school.