Teacher Appreciation: The Sound of Music

idaquita
Being a sophomore in high school, I have had my fair share of good and bad teachers. However, one teacher that has greatly impacted me and is, by far, one of my favorite teachers is my orchestra teacher Ms. Dow. My friend, who is also one of her students, perfectly described her, saying that “if kids were allowed to pick their parents, she would have an infinite number of kids.”
I have had Ms. Dow as a teacher for two years now and she has taught me so much about music and life. Not only is she an awesome orchestra teacher (I have improved my violin skills so much more in one year of her teaching rather than three years at the middle school), but every now and then she gives the class one of her great “Dowism” speeches that teach us about life and how to become better people. My favorite quote from one of these speeches is “music is my medium, I teach life.” She has shown us that hard work and dedication does pay off; it is not possible to succeed when there is no motivation. Ms. Dow is also one of the most compassionate and caring people I know, even towards little animals. It is hard to be nice without people taking advantage of it, but somehow Ms. Dow is able to do that while being respected by everybody.
Honestly, I do not think many teachers get the recognition they deserve, especially when it comes to the fine arts. Music teachers often have ensembles ranging from 50-60 kids each with expensive instruments. Theater teachers and directors put their blood, sweat, and tears in every performance, and coming from previous experience, sometimes spend countless hours preparing for shows. There are so many fine art teachers who are not given enough credit for the amount of work they put in and are often considered not as important as other academic teachers. Obviously other teachers are also important, but in my opinion music and art teachers are just not as highly regarded as them even when they deserve to be.
Although they are not given the enough recognition, teachers are very important; especially teachers like Ms. Dow who inspires me to strive for greatness and to become a better person. They teach us all different sorts of academic and life lessons that will stay with me for the rest of my life.