Teacher Appreciation: Unleashing the Fun of Math Class

baxelrod
A teacher is the one who is known to construct the base of our future. The teachings of kindergarten through high school serve as a springboard for us to leap into the real world; the knowledge we gain is our one and only ticket to success. My favorite teacher is Mrs. McNamara, or Mrs. Mac for short.
My favorite aspect of Mrs. Mac’s classroom is that she treats her students like friends. On a nice warm day outside, she would abandon the homework assignment encouraging students to play outside. My class that year spent a good portion of the beginning of each period talking about sports. Mrs. Mac herself was a dedicated sports fan, and we both liked different teams. I would write on the bottom of my tests, “The Mets rule!” while she would pretend to take off points from my exam because she was a Yankees fan.
However, with all the fun she brought to the classroom, she was an excellent math teacher. In the past, I have had math teachers that would choke on and spit up numbers the whole period. Mrs. Mac was different. While she did challenge her students to their full potential, she had a way of blending math and fun. She understood when it was time to crack a joke and when it was time to teach an important lesson.
Another one of my favorite qualities about Mrs. Mac is the individual attention she gave to her students. Extra help sessions were available at any time, and included the morning, afterschool, and even during a lunch or study hall period. She was able to adapt to any teaching style that best fit the student. For me, that was practicing math problems of the same topic over and over again until I mastered them.
Mrs. Mac has impacted me in ways that she is unaware of. For one, she has totally changed my attitude about math. More importantly, she has taught me how to relax when I am stressed about my schoolwork. Naturally, I was a high-strung student that would allow my stress levels to take over my body. Whenever the word ‘test’ was mentioned I began to freak out. Mrs. Mac in no way has taught me to slack off on studying or preparing. Rather, she has shown me that a little laughing goes a long way and that taking study breaks was essential to a successful outcome. Once I just began to relax, and blend fun and games with intensive studying, my test scores actually increased. Mrs. Mac’s time management was outstanding and her strategies have rubbed off on me. I am extremely lucky to have called Mrs. Mac my teacher.