I'm Thankful for Warmth

VBanasik
A frozen ball of ice floating in space, unwarmed by the great star that blew up long ago.
The surface is buried beneath layers of dark, hard ice, trapping motionless people like enormous
ice cubes in some monstrous glass of water. The people stuck inside are like statues. They cannot
feel the frostbite infecting their arms, legs, even eyeballs. Skin so pale it’s almost clear, painfully
adhered to prisons of frozen water. Hair so brittle it breaks off in pieces. Breath dangerous, the
moisture freezing around the mouth so that they cannot fill their lungs again. Dead, like fish.

How many times do I take for granted the warmth that keeps me alive? For once, I’m not
speaking figuratively- I’m talking about what literally gives us heat: the sun, the heat in our
houses, even electric blankets seal in that vital warmth that we couldn’t live without. How many
times have I been curled up on the carpet like a great big cat, drinking in the sunshine like a
sponge- and wondered what would happen if I never felt it again?
For once, I’m taking time to be
thankful for the lamp hanging in the sky that I never think about. So many times I rush in from
the car trying to escape winter’s chill, all the while complaining loudly about how cold it is. So
many times I have shuddered from a draft and put a sweater around my shoulders or snuggled
under blankets. I’ve turned up the heat with whines of "It’s so chilly!" I don’t know what cold is.
I’ve never been freezing.

What would happen if suddenly I were stripped of all warmth? If I ran from the car into a
frigid house like a freezer, the wind owning it. What if I turned to dive under blankets but they
didn’t hold in heat? Went outside and saw a pitch-black snowball that never touched even a lukewarm sunshine. What if we perished, so cold we almost felt on fire. I never want to know. I’m so thankful for this warmth I would die without.