Teacher Appreciation: The Inspiration

Sun_nuS
Teachers are always the inspiration of students. I believe it, and will believe that till the end of my life. I used to think that teachers were the authority at school. However, now, I regard them as role models. They teach us not only the knowledge but also how to behave and act on a daily basis.
All the thoughts came from my experience in elementary school. By the time, as a little girl, I was the straight-A student in teachers’ minds, who always obeyed the teacher’s rules without any hesitation. Although I was quiet and introverted, I was a good student. Nevertheless, in my mind, I knew the reason for my extreme obedience was to win the favor and avoid teachers’ punishment and aversion. They had the absolute power over students. They had the right to do whatever they wanted because they were always right. Every day when I greeted my teachers, I could feel my tone was respectful out of fear.
The thought continued to grow in my mind until one day. It was the day when the final exam papers were handed out. I got 86 as my math grade. It was the lowest grade I had ever got. Gazing at red “x” marks, I couldn’t believe my eyes. I burst out into tears. While the teacher went through the exam, I noticed that some answers I had was the same as the standard answers, but they were marked wrong. The injustice grew strongly from the deep of my heart. But I dared to say anything to my teacher, rather, I went home and complaint to my family tearfully.
They all looked at my paper and agreed that I didn’t do it wrong. It should be the teacher’s fault. My grandmother, who used to a principal of a middle school, asked me to talk to my teacher about it. However, I was so afraid that I refused immediately. “I can’t! What if she doesn’t listen to me? And it’s too late anyways. Every grade has been recorded in the archives already!” I cried.
“I will write her a letter, then. Remember to give it to her tomorrow!” She replied.
All right. The next morning, I took a deep breath and exhaled. Repeating several times, I finally got up to the stage and called the teacher.
“Excuse me, Mrs. Chen.” I said quietly as if it was a whisper during midnight. I could tell the nervousness in my trembling voice. “This is a letter my grandmother wants to give it to you.”
After saying these two sentences I had been practiced millions of times, I looked at her and examined her actions and emotions from her eyes. Mrs. Chen showed a little confusion but still received the letter and read in front of me. It seemed a century had passed. She finally raised her head and said to me with a gentle voice, “Can I see your exam paper?”
“Sure.” I gave it to her. After she looked at the paper, she turned to me and said, “Sorry, my bad. You used a different method to solve the problem that I didn’t see before. That’s why I marked it wrong, but you did it right and well. I will change your grade. No worries.”
“Thank you.” Suddenly, tears sprang from my eyes and straightly went down my cheeks. I didn’t know why.
At that point, I knew I started to view teachers differently. They were no longer the dictators I had considered. They made mistakes and they were not omniscient. Although you might think that it did not mean anything and could not even be called as inspiration, in my little immature mind, what she did on that day completely changed me. I realized that whoever made mistakes needed apologies regardless the status one was in. Her actions inspired me. I was grateful.