Teacher Appreciation: Writing is Fun?

livdubi
A great teacher is someone who not only connects with his or her students on an educational level, but also on a personal level. Somebody who teaches and gets the point across, but also makes the students want to continue learning. These teachers are rare and when a student finds one, it makes the workload bearable. These individuals are like diamonds in a sea of coal. As a student attending school for eleven years now, I have had several memorable teachers make my educational experience a little bit better. A teacher that comes to mind as a diamond in my school career is my fourth grade teacher, Mr. Ciani.
Fourth grade was six years ago, yet I still hold Mr. Ciani in such high standings when looking back on my favorite teachers. I remember that we wrote an essay every single day, and I, of course, didn’t want to, but I didn’t mind it as much as I thought I would because Mr. Ciani made me love to write. He taught me about using voice, and exaggerating all the details to make it more interesting. Rather than writing “The boy ran home,” I learned to write “The tired boy ran furiously back home, as if being chased by ten monsters.” Even though I am unable to make my writing so detail-filled in high school now because of the way things “have” to be done, my fourth grade mind thought that this was amazing. I loved to write.
In Mr. Ciani’s class, I wrote several poems and stories. I wrote a poem titled “Fading Dreams” that was entered into a contest and then published. I thought that this was the coolest thing ever, and I was so proud of the work I had done. I remember telling Mr. Ciani that my handwriting was getting messier every day. I was getting very discouraged and upset, but he told me that is I was just getting so smart that my hand couldn’t keep up. He made fourth grade fun, and he made the educational aspects exciting. I hope he knows how much he has impacted my life, and the lives of students that he has previously had. Teachers like him are the reason the school system still works. With the amount of stress and high expectations put on us, it is an unfair system. However, I personally, continue to try harder every day because of the support of the amazing teachers I have had.