Teacher Appreciation: Mrs. Clark

Tj Hughes
Mrs. Clark was my first grade teacher and she introduced me to many great books, which lead to me starting to read more. I could read before first grade, but I did not read many books. Mrs. Clark showed me that reading was fun, and I wanted to be the best that I could be at it.
In first grade there was a program that Mrs. Clark introduced to my class, as she had done with past classes, called “AR books” (accelerated reading). There was a list of books that could be read and then at the end of each one there was a test. There was also a record kept for which student read the most AR books, and the previously highest amount was 101 books. My plan was to exceed that amount by the end of the year. Throughout the year, Mrs. Clark encouraged me and I kept reading. I spent a lot of my time reading that year and took the test after each book I finished. By the end of the year I had reached 121 books and took all their tests. Mrs. Clark gave me small knickknacks to congratulate me for my feat. She had supported me through the entire year of reading and rewarded me at the end. Sometimes I felt like I might have wanted to quit reading, but the goal she had set had pushed me to go further until I exceeded it.
I learn best when I have a goal set for me and Mrs. Clark saw that, and being the good teacher that she is, set one for me to succeed. I might not have liked reading as much as other hobbies that I had, but it made me a better student. Teachers sometimes have to make or encourage students to do things that they don’t like, but later in life it helps them, which sometimes gives them a bad reputation as being mean or strict. Some teachers can be mean or too strict, but most teachers are just doing what is best for the student to achieve great things later in their life. Without Mrs. Clark encouraging me to read all of those books, I might have had a harder time reading during the rest of my schooling, which could have lowered my grades. If my grades were lowered then it would have affected my future. This shows that a lot of teacher, especially good ones, care about their students and want their futures to be great. If their students’ futures are great then it shows that the teachers did something right and encouraged their students to do the right things.