I'm Thankful for a Home

Hannahlouiseorr
by:Hannah Orr

I am thankful for a home, not just a building, its not a house I am thankful for, but a home. The coal black shingles that keep out the rain are not what i am most thankful for, although they are appreciated. The new landscape that we just put in, with the reaching willow branches and happy daisies give off a nice vibe, but is not my favorite part about the big brick unassuming house in the middle of Wyndewicke drive, neither are the strong detailed support pillars on the porch the things I notice first when we pull up into the driveway. Likewise, the cloud-like carpet under my toes is not the reason for the smile that takes over my features right when I push open the green oak doors and step inside.

No, the first thing I notice when I step over the threshold is the scuff just above the window where we hit the ball just a little too high. it is the proud, tall grand piano, where I have spent many a time thumping away at self composed melodies. The reason for my uncontrollable sense of happiness when I walk inside is not a tangible thing, but an accumulation of memories. It is the room I first slept in, then played dress up in, and now currently do homework in. It is all the times my mother has whispered “I love you”, or my father has taught me a valuable life lesson. It is trust, and belonging, fearlessness and hope. It is the place I can shine no matter what. It is what has made me, me and continues to mold me. It is not the mortar or foundation that I am most thankful for, but the untouchable things they hold up and in.