Teacher Appreciation: The Buddha

Wolfy
When asked who my favorite teacher is, I always have the same answer: Ms. Crabb. Before taking her English class, I never would have considered entering an essay contest. Here I am, two years later, trying to remember the grammar and writing lessons she gave us. More than that though, she taught me a thing or two about life.
I was a student in Ms. Crabb’s English class during my first and second year of high school. I remember being an apprehensive Freshman with barely the courage to tell her I thought her snowflake earrings were pretty. She slowly became one of the few adults in my life that I felt I could open up to. There wasn't a single time she ever made me feel stupid - or even average. It was very apparent to me how much she cared about her students. She cared about the grades we earned, but she also cared about us as people. She once said that she was not our friend. She was not our friend because she didn't care if we got mad at her. She cared that she did her job and helped lead us down the path of success.
She is the type of person who will listen to someone because she genuinely wants to help if she can, not just because she feels obligated. Last year, I asked to talk to her after class. I was so nervous about what I had to say that I was shaking like a hypothermic Chihuahua. That was the day I told her I was gay. I wasn’t nervous to tell her. I knew she wouldn’t be mad or lecture me. Telling an adult meant accepting who I am. Telling her gave me the confidence to tell my family and friends.
More recently, I had a talk with her about my future. I am not in any of her classes this year, but she was still kind enough to spend time after class chatting with me. I needed to speak to an adult about my plans for college, or rather, my plans for going directly into the workforce after high school. I was too scared to speak to my parents about it at the time, so I went to her. She didn’t try to convince me that I need to go to college. She recommended some alternatives, such as an apprenticeship or internship, and told me what I should find more information on. She made me laugh, even though I was nearly in tears, and reassured me.
Teaching is more than a job to her. It’s who she is. That is what makes her different from other teachers I have had. Those teachers taught me a lot, but I learned the most from Ms. Crabb. Most importantly, I learned to remain calm in stressful situations. This is why I call her Buddha.