Teacher Appreciation: She taught me to fly

blithedays47
It was never a question of whether I'd do it. I wouldn't. I couldn't! I, Blythe Nadine, would never audition for a musical. I was too quiet, too afraid, and far too ordinary. It was so impossible that even Lewis Carroll couldn't have believed it before breakfast.
I fantasized about grand things, singing before great people and seeing their flabbergasted faces as they saw the quiet mouse become a beautiful songbird. But they were fantasies only. Nothing more.

Then I met Mrs Booth.

My intentions when joining her theater class were simple and mouse-like. All I wanted to do was be the quiet helper, the person no one sees--the backstage helper who had some tiny part in making a show come to life.
She simply wouldn't believe I was only a mouse. She looked at me, and saw a little bird inside that longed to be able to sing. Auditions approached, and she encouraged me. "Blythe...just be BRAVE and DO IT." Under the influence of her belief in me, "never" became "maybe." "Won't" became "will."

I found myself doing the impossible. I, Blythe Nadine, auditioned for a musical!

It would have ended there, if it weren't for Mrs Booth. My knees were weak and my hands sweaty and I didn't want to ever go through that again. But she gave me a role. As I looked at the cast list again, making sure my eyes weren't fooling me, I saw that not only did she give me a role, she gave me a lead role. I was astounded.
Days turned into weeks and material was learned and rehearsed. I was so inexperienced compared to the other cast members! I felt out of place among them. Every time I considered giving up, though, or felt I wasn't good enough, it was as if Mrs Booth could sense it. She would come up to me and tell me I was doing great, then gently give me suggestions to improve my acting and singing.
She always pushed me to do better. I rarely believed I could become great. I couldn't sing loud, I was just a little mouse. But she insisted. She saw something in me that I could not. She saw the little bird stretching its wings, and she wanted it to learn not just to sing, but to fly.

Opening night was wonderful.

Confidence began to put out roots and shoots, and then branches! I developed a love of telling stories on stage. I even auditioned for a community theater production and received a role in it! The little bird had burst free of its cage.

How fitting that the one who freed it should be a teacher named Robinne Booth.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as one of our top 11 finalists. Our editors are currently working on choosing the first place essay.

We will post all winning essay results by June 30th. You can check this page for the results after June 30th:

Posted: Monday, June 8, 2015 10:50:02 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as a runner up in our teen essay contest.

Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:01:26 PM

Hi! We wanted to let you know that we have created the Teen Trend Report for the Teacher Appreciation writing contest. Feel free to check it out and share it with friends, family and the teacher you wrote about in your winning essay.

http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandTeacherAppreciation.aspx

Thanks again for sharing your story with the world!

- Rebecca
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 3:19:20 PM