I'm Thankful For My Opportunity

leigh94
By: Leigh Belmont

I take a deep breath as I open the door. Even though I've done this for about 8 weeks, I still get nervous before going into the 2nd floor. I shake off that nervous feeling and walk with my head high, entering the hospital's 2nd floor.

I do all my usual chores; cleaning out the needle boxes, checking patients, and replacing glove dispensers. But I also do whatever the nurse and nurse aides need me to do. I file papers, clean up the floor, and even help out the floor director with a multitude of things.
Even though others may think of this as a boring and time consuming part of my Tuesday evenings, I see this as opportunity. Opportunity for the future. Many scholarships are offered to volunteers, and colleges smile upon the fact that I donated my precious time. I love the fact that I go to the hospital; I even look forward to Tuesdays. I'm hoping that someday, I can become someone in the medical field because of this wonderful opportunity.