Teacher Appreciation: Mrs. Harper

claire.chaney
Generally speaking, history class isn’t always the most exciting. Ancient world history even less so. However, with a good teacher, it can be the best class ever. My sophomore history teacher, Mrs. Harper, turned a subject I didn't really enjoy and made it memorable. To teach us about trench warfare during World War 1, our whole class was divided into teams and we had a war of our own. Equipped with water guns and cardboard box barricades, what could have been a boring power point presentation and quiz became an experience I won't ever forget. Not only did I get to have a great time with my classmates, but I also will remember how World War One was fought. Lectures became storytime, and even as a senior I can still recount to anyone who asks details of the Mongolian empire. While history has always been a favorite subject of mine, I prefer American history to world. After this history class, every aspect of history has become more appealing and I developed a love for learning through participating. Instead of reading a boring story about World War 2, we read the comic book Maus, that told the story of prisoners in concentration camps through the eyes of a mouse. These unique ways of going about teaching this sometimes boring subject, completely changed my view of how I learn. Without Mrs. Harper and her love of teaching and passion for the subject, sophomore year would not have been the same. In addition to being a wonderful teacher, she became someone to go talk to about my weekend or seek advice from. It was truly valuable to me and she is not a teacher I will ever forget.