Teacher Appreciation: The Biggest Lesson I've Ever Learned.

jasminefigueroa
When I was in eighth grade, I moved to a new school. Little did I know this change would result in one of the biggest lessons I’ve ever learned. In my first week there, I realized I had become everyone’s favorite person to pick on. It started out as a few jokes from a few kids and I even laughed with them. The friends I thought I made quickly turned to bullies and I was facing the worst pain I’d ever been in. I had nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. Torment followed me everywhere I went and home seemed to be my only escape. No one showed me any sympathy or kindness except for one: Mrs. Snyder. One particularly painful day I came into her classroom bawling. I cried to her saying no one liked me and I had no friends. I remember feeling so relieved when she hugged me and shed a few tears herself. It was a weight lifted off my shoulders to know that she cared. It was lunch time so she left me in her classroom and brought in a group of really sweet girls to eat lunch with me. That day was a turning point for me in my journey through bullying. After that, I felt invisible. If nothing else, I knew I had her to turn to. Looking back, that was by far the worst time I’ve ever suffered through and she held my hand through it. I know I can never thank her enough for it and she’ll never quite know what she did for me. She changed my life. She taught me on of the biggest lessons I’ve ever learned: I am not worthless. I am not a nobody. I deserve to be treated like everyone else. After that day, I carried myself in a way that showed the rest of the world what I had learned and I was treated as such. “Thank you” will never be powerful enough to express the way I truly feel about her compassion. She is truly amazing.