I'm Thankful For My Shoes by: Elizabeth Adams

elizabeth.christine
Shoes: The Journey of My Life

Just born, my feet were bare. I came into a family of brothers, eleven and fourteen years older than me. I was their baby sister, and they were enamored with me. Joe adored me, and loved to make me laugh. Mike loved to play “best big brother” around all the girls. I was everybody’s baby.

At one, I wore soft, black velvet Mary Janes. “The princess of Napier” as I was dubbed by my church. Famous the way Harry Potter was, I was the ever-present fan at baseball games for Mike and Joe. The “adopted baby sister” of all the players, I was apparently quite the charmer.

Age five -- I lost a boot in the snow and didn’t find it until the next spring. Kindergarten was quite the memorable year. I met so many new friends, and at the same time had cold after cold after cold that winter. I still wore dresses every day, and even got to take naps.

Six years old, Velcro was my style. I never wanted to mess with tying my shoes if I didn’t have to. Instead, I wore the Velcro light-ups and thought that I was the coolest. It didn’t matter if, looking back, I was probably one of the dorkiest looking kids ever; what mattered, was that I felt awesome in them for that phase of several years.

Hitting the teen years, it’s all about boys, and I go on dates in heels. Boys, boys, and more boys -- it’s the talk all around me. All they cause is drama, and yet, I can’t help but like them. I suppose it’s just part of the nature. Of course, heartbreak has to be thrown in there, “just for kicks and giggles.”

Time passes, and soon I’m no longer chasing boys, but rather, babies -- in my comfy nurse shoes. Older and older every year -- old enough now to wear fuzzy slippers and relax at home. Lying still, I no longer need any shoes.

It seems that my beginning is much like my end -- starting and finishing with no shoes. Of course, death is not really the end of life. It is only the beginning of another life. I am thankful for my shoes because they represent a journey. Though circumstances in life can sometimes seem impossible as a whole, I can pick myself up by my bootstraps and take it one step at a time.