I'm Thankful for Road Trips

j.snipes
By: Jennifer S.

Fifteen and a half hours in two days. Fifteen and a half hours to Wood, South Dakota. Twelve hours in one day. Twelve hours to Brooklyn Heights, New York. Three hours to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I am thankful for road trips.

Grabbing the necessary car riding materials—blanket, pillow, novel, and iPod—I climb into my reserved spot in the car: middle row, passenger side with my sister in the seat next to me. Settling in for the long haul, I nestle down in my seat and cover up. Pulling out of the driveway, down the street and out onto South Lakeshore Drive down to I-94. Once on our way hitting the rhythmic pace and slowly drifting into a state some where in between the conscience world and a world built by my mind.

Listening to the voices swelling out my headphones into my ears while watching the country slip by mile by mile; I see things through the ever constant picture frame of the car window; this picture frame shows things never before seen in southwestern Michigan. The picture album starts with the prodigious structures of the Chicago skyline, stalagmites of steel and glass reaching to the stars, skipping forward in album the frame shows me the rapids of the mighty Mississippi as my family and I cross over to the western side of the Unites States. The next snapshot I get is of the phenomenal structure of the wind turbines in Iowa along I-90, lazily turning about generating power of miles around. They dwarfed the cars along the interstate, turning them to ants marching along to nowhere important compared their awe-inspiring height. We make it to South Dakota, stay for two weeks, and return home enjoying the same shots we had on the way out.

The final shot is the one enjoy the most. I see it at the end of every trip whether it is from the quaint neighborhood streets of Brooklyn Heights or the road carved through the Appalachian Mountains in Pennsylvania. Framed and hung from a nail in my heart is the shot of my home. This one picture encompasses what I hold most dear a family that loves me.