Animals: Little Guy

Irlanda Silva
I heard my step dad often talking about wanting a dog, but I honestly didn’t take that serious. One day my mom sends me a text saying, “We got the dog!”, I told her I was not really going to take care of him. Peluchin, my parents named him Peluchin which it means fluffy or fuzzy -- pretty explainable since he was a maltese. He was learning so fast. He didn’t like to pee on carpets or basically soft surfaces. He always had to look for floor. As the days pass by, I started liking him. He was becoming my daily company. My parents work too much; they’re out of the house most of the day and having Peluchin made me feel less alone.
Peluchin was acting quite different one day. He usually has a lot of energy but not this time. He didn't want to eat or drink water. He was vomiting, and he was sleeping a lot. We had to go to emergency Vet Hospital because we started to get really worried. The vet did a quick check out and told us that all the symptoms he was having were leading to the possibility that he got the Parvovirus. she told us that some of the Parvovirus’ effects are vomiting, and lack of appetite. Then she said, that this disease can often lead to death. When she said the word “death” I felt like my heart dropped, like if someone had just punch me in my chest.
I tried to stay as positive as I could. They had to do a test to see if he had the virus. While waiting for the results, I started to over-think the situation. What if he does have the virus and the treatment doesn't go well? What would I do without my little puppy? The vet came back to the room. I could tell she saw my sadness in my eyes when she shook her head up and down. The test came back positive. She explained to us that we brought him in on time. One more day and the virus could've been worse. He got antibiotics and we got to take him home. All there was left was to pray that the treatment worked, so my little guy can get better and not leave us. In our way home I couldn't stop crying. I really didn't want him to die. I won’t run around the house like crazy chasing after him anymore. I won’t be receiving a welcome from him after school. I would be lonely without him.
I woke up early the next morning because my parents had to go to work. As soon as I opened my room door I was full of happiness. This feeling was better than anything I've felt before, Peluchin was running around the house like crazy with his stuffed giraffe in his mouth. He eventually recovered and I was so grateful that I got to keep my best friend, my little guy.