Animals: Not Displays or Possessions, but Family

puma0802
Some dogs look so funny these days. I can’t stand but laugh looking at my friend’s white Pomeranian that has green ears and pink tail. My friend always raved about her “pure breed” Pomeranian. She obtained a certificate authenticating her dog’s breed. She paid more than a thousand bucks for the dog. She even named him Chanel. I got sick of her blabbing about her dog’s fanciness that apparently came from his pure breed label.

Most of the dogs we see these days are made by humans. So it’s funny to call certain dogs “pure”. They weren’t even born naturally. In fact, because contemporaries care about breed so much, inbreeding caused pugs and bulldogs to have squished snouts that hardly allow them to breathe. Whenever I see my friend posting pictures of Chanel wearing a ridiculous pink dress or the dog version of beauty pageant on TV, I can’t help thinking that those poor dogs are considered as displays or accessories, decorated and transformed to satisfy people’s vanity. People think they can do whatever they want with their pets because some consider their pets as their possessions.

Not only do some of us treat our pets as possessions but we also get rid of them mercilessly. It is heartbreaking to see some people buy pups due to their whim, but then abandon them after they grow up because they are not tiny and “cute” anymore.

I learned about dogs’ never ending love and people’s cruelty when I worked with Kim who ran a farm of hundreds of stray dogs and cats. There, I met Fortune. She lost a leg because she was abused. Shockingly, though, her eyes were not filled with fear and hatred towards people, but with love. Awestruck and touched by Fortune’s devotion and faithfulness, I decided to take her as a member of our family.

The more time I spent with Fortune, the more I perceived how dogs were not a possession. We didn’t “own” Fortune because we paid for her food and shelter. She had feelings just like us humans and gave us her everything. It was impossible to put a price tag on Fortune’s ability to offer our family console and emotional refuge.

Of course, many of us truly consider pets as a part of our family. Yet, there still are others who treat them as possessions or worse, as instruments to relieve their stress. I believe that we should return even a fraction of our pets’ endless love, regardless of their breed, age, and personality, since they are not “things” but living beings.