I'm Thankful for My Grandmother by: Jasmine Russell

Jazzy925
Thanksgiving Thanks

This Thanksgiving I am thankful for my friends and family. Yes, that is very cliche, but who cares? That’s what the holidays are for--family, friends, tradition, and cliche, sappy, lovey-dovey songs--right? Well, this holiday season I’m going to be more lovey-dovey than I ever have before. I am most thankful this year for my grandmother. Although our story is personal, I’ll tell what I can.

I really am so very grateful for my grandmother. This year, she has been there more for me than she ever has before, and we’ve grown closer. Throughout these tough economic and emotional times, she has been the only stable person in my life; with others leaving, entering, and changing in my life every moment, it’s very comforting to have someone to lean on. Through bankruptcy, foreclosure, divorce, and relationship issues, she has been there for me every moment, and I truly cherish her every moment I am able. She is my best friend right now, and I need her.

However, in this same way, she needs me. Just turning sixty-five, and with fourteen adopted, handicapped children--including my mother--she needs more help now than ever. Diabetes, arthritis, knee problems, and not to mention the stress of take care of a ridiculously large family, are severely impacting her health. Because of this, I try to visit her whenever I can, and help her with anything and everything--dishes, grocery shopping, carrying things. Through the years, she has always been the strongest and most durable woman I’ve ever known, and I want to be here for her when she needs it from me. She deserves everything.

This Thanksgiving, I plan to spend precious time with my grandmother. I’m going to help her cook, serve, and clean up Thanksgiving dinner, and we’re going to enjoy this holiday as a family. I truly love my grandmother, and I know she loves me much more than I can imagine. She is my present this holiday season, and I thank her for giving me life and allowing me to grow up and mature as I have. I am infinitely grateful for her, and I hope this Thanksgiving, she’s thankful for me also.