Animals: The Day I Became a Superhero

Sofie Olson
I can’t recall what the weather was like the day I became a superhero. You’d think I would remember every single detail, but the weather escapes me. I do know that it was almost sunset, and the house was getting dark as the big angry fireball sank beneath the trees.
I’d been in my room for quite some time, avoiding my homework by slipping off to Panem for the evening. I only stopped when I realized I couldn’t quite make out the words anymore, as dusk had fallen and I hadn’t bothered to turn on a lamp. Getting up from my beanbag chair, I stretched and wandered into the kitchen to forage for food.
Now, of course this story is about pets, so it’s only natural that my tiger-patterned cat, Bugsy, would be sitting on the counter, batting at my sister’s pet fish, Flash. I snapped at the cat, who glanced at me with his big green eyes before continuing to attack the aquatic red blur that was his victim.
To this day, I have no idea how what happened next is even possible, but I’ve asked both my sister and my mom, and they both remember it, so I know it must be true, strange as it may be.
I stormed toward the counter, intending to scare the cat away, and my hand came down and - get this - karate chopped the glass vase. I barely had time to register that it had even happened before there was water gushing everywhere, the fish swimming for his life.
There wasn’t time to think, or notice the pain that should have been in my hand. I just raced to the kitchen and grabbed a cup so my sister’s fish wouldn’t wind up flopping around on the carpet. I made it back to the vase just in time to get the fish and the last of the water into the cup, and only then was I able to assess the damage the cat had inadvertently caused.
The carpet was soaked, of course, and there were tiny fragments of glass all over the counter. But what really surprised me was this: my hand was completely fine.
I flexed it every way I could think of, picking up small objects and even poking the space that had struck the vase. There wasn’t so much as a scratch, no soreness or the beginnings of a bruise.
After I’d cleaned up the mess I’d made, as I was soaking up the last of the water with a towel, Bugsy came back into the room, resumed his place on the counter, and fixed his gaze once more on the fish, who was now swimming happily around a new vase.
I think the lesson here is that no matter what you do, cats are natural predators and just kind of like being obnoxious little brats. But because we, as humans and pet lovers, are suckers, we’ll still let them dominate our internet and sleep on our keyboards.