STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Animals: The Day I Became a Superhero

Sofie Olson
I can’t recall what the weather was like the day I became a superhero. You’d think I would remember every single detail, but the weather escapes me. I do know that it was almost sunset, and the house was getting dark as the big angry fireball sank beneath the trees.
I’d been in my room for quite some time, avoiding my homework by slipping off to Panem for the evening. I only stopped when I realized I couldn’t quite make out the words anymore, as dusk had fallen and I hadn’t bothered to turn on a lamp. Getting up from my beanbag chair, I stretched and wandered into the kitchen to forage for food.
Now, of course this story is about pets, so it’s only natural that my tiger-patterned cat, Bugsy, would be sitting on the counter, batting at my sister’s pet fish, Flash. I snapped at the cat, who glanced at me with his big green eyes before continuing to attack the aquatic red blur that was his victim.
To this day, I have no idea how what happened next is even possible, but I’ve asked both my sister and my mom, and they both remember it, so I know it must be true, strange as it may be.
I stormed toward the counter, intending to scare the cat away, and my hand came down and - get this - karate chopped the glass vase. I barely had time to register that it had even happened before there was water gushing everywhere, the fish swimming for his life.
There wasn’t time to think, or notice the pain that should have been in my hand. I just raced to the kitchen and grabbed a cup so my sister’s fish wouldn’t wind up flopping around on the carpet. I made it back to the vase just in time to get the fish and the last of the water into the cup, and only then was I able to assess the damage the cat had inadvertently caused.
The carpet was soaked, of course, and there were tiny fragments of glass all over the counter. But what really surprised me was this: my hand was completely fine.
I flexed it every way I could think of, picking up small objects and even poking the space that had struck the vase. There wasn’t so much as a scratch, no soreness or the beginnings of a bruise.
After I’d cleaned up the mess I’d made, as I was soaking up the last of the water with a towel, Bugsy came back into the room, resumed his place on the counter, and fixed his gaze once more on the fish, who was now swimming happily around a new vase.
I think the lesson here is that no matter what you do, cats are natural predators and just kind of like being obnoxious little brats. But because we, as humans and pet lovers, are suckers, we’ll still let them dominate our internet and sleep on our keyboards.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy