STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Animals: Dog in the Desert

sabrinarose
It seems like everyone has something about their past that sticks with them forever, and even animals can have that type of emotional pain. When I was little, I had a dog with a crazy backstory, and it involves finding her in the middle of an Arizona desert. Animals can have emotional and mental pain just like people can, and one of my first pets was emotionally damaged.
My dog, Gypsy, was unexpectedly found in a totally heartbreaking way. When I was around 8, my mother’s boyfriend at the time, Jason, was visiting his mother in Phoenix. Jason found a dehydrated and starving puppy in the underbrush of a path while he was on a hike. She seemed to be a pit bull terrier, and she was entirely white excluding a few dark patches. He said that he could count every one of her ribs, and that her fur was brittle, her skin could have torn like paper. She was so sweet and friendly that Jason couldn’t resist taking her home on the plane back to California. She became our family dog, and we named her Gypsy because she was a free-spirited animal that was lost in the wilderness. When I saw her, I thought that she was the most beautiful thing that I had ever seen, and I loved that dog so much. Little did I know, my dog was haunted by her past.
Gypsy was driven mad by her fear of loneliness, and being abandoned again. She went nuts when she was alone, and my mother figured that was because someone had left her in the desert. Living the life of most, my mother and Jason went to work during the week, and I went to school. We typically left Gypsy in my mother’s room during the day, but she tried to get out by ripping the door frame off of the wall and scratching and barking until we got home. Gypsy did this to several rooms, and even though I hated the idea of her having a kennel, my mother had to put her in one before she left for work every day. There was one time when my family and I went camping with Gypsy, and we left her in our trailer while we went to the pool. She broke the window out of the trailer and ran to find us, which was easily two miles away. She could not be alone. Gypsy was afraid of us leaving her alone like her owners had in the past.
Gypsy was young when she was scarred with the terrible pain of abandonment. Having a pet with such severe separation anxiety made me realize that humans aren’t the only creatures capable of mental illness. I know a lot of people who have a fear of being alone, myself included, and having Gypsy as my pet has helped me through that. I could share that feeling with my dog, which in the end made me feel like I wasn’t alone.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy