Animals: Goodbye Beautiful

LindseyL
When I was eight, one of our cats named Hummer had a litter of kittens. There were five of them and they were so tiny and cute. There were four of us, and we decided that we each get a cat; and there would be one extra. One was a tiger looking one, only it was not orange and black, it was light brown and dark brown. It had short fur and was the smallest one, the runt. That was my cat. This story is about my kitten Alex.
I was merrily walking down the hall after dinner one day to see my lovely kitten in my room. When I entered the room I notice my kitten was acting funny. The kitten was just laying there on my sister’s bed and struggling to catch its breath . I knew my kitten needed help. I called for my mom as I went to her room, and explained that my kitten was not acting as it should be. I told her it needed a doctor.
I remember exactly what my mom said because the words stuck in my head the whole night. She told me, “Wait until tomorrow, if the it gets through the night, we’ll take it to the vet.” I reluctantly gave a nod and went back to the room. I was crying and looked around for something to make a bed. I found a small clear plastic box, a pillow, and a cloth. I put my kitten in the makeshift bed of a clear box pillow and a cloth, petting it, and saying that I love you. I wanted to stay up all night, and watch it. I tried to stay up by sitting up. A few hours after I was suppose to go to sleep, I fell asleep because I decided to rest my eyes and lay down.
I checked on my kitten. It did not have a breath or even a pulse. I started crying because my beloved kitten was dead. I then hated my mom for not taking it to the vet, which I thought was a doctor. She should have done it! I then realized that she did nothing to Alex, and therefore was not her fault. I cried for my mom, and she came to my room. I showed her Alex, who was dead, and she admitted that even if we did take it to the vet, my kitten would not have lived. I cried more because of her words.
Later that day I grabbed a shoe box and poked small holes in it. I hoped the kitten would come back to life if it had air. Mom had given me the idea to bury it. I went to the room and put the kitten in the box. I went to our backyard a bit disappointed we did not have dirt. We had a pool, cement, and white and gray rocks. I remember digging up rocks and getting cuts on my fingers. When it was too hard to dig, I put the box in the small hole, covered it up, and grabbed the gray rocks to set them down over the mount of white rocks in an X formation. I began to cry again and said goodbye. I told it I would always love it. I hoped it was happy wherever it was.