Animals: The beginning of a new life.

paola.amezcua
Having an a pet is a wonderful experience especially when creating a new life. It is like having a new best friend. Knowing that they are always there for you and you are always there for them. Having that unbreakable bond the first time you lock eyes, knowing you will be with them until the day they die. You want to do and give them everything. The feeling you get when you've helped your best friend bring their puppies into this world. Down the road you might have some mishaps, but just know it is all worth it for them.

It was about 7 pm on Easter Sunday and my family and I just came back from egg hunting. When we walked in the house we started to hear some unusual noises. We knew that our dog, Connie, was pregnant. We didn't expect that she was going to give birth that night. We passed our living room, the whining noise got louder and louder. Once we were standing in front of the door. I opened it with a huge smile plastered on my face. Connie had already pushed out two puppies. We were all stunned. We didn't know what to do. My mom went quickly to get towels because the blankets were soaked in blood. Connie looked in so much pain and I couldn't do anything about it. She knew it would be worth it because soon enough she would have beautiful puppies. It was getting late, so we all went to bed. All except for my dad. He stayed up and looked after the new mom and the puppies.

In the morning, I was woken up by noises of chaos. I went into the room where the puppies were and the worst of the worst had happened. Since she was feeding her puppies all night, they had sucked all of her nutrients out of her and she started to have Eclampsia (milk fever). We didn't know what to do. It was early in the morning and us kids had to go to school and my parents had to go to work. At the moment we didn't know what she had, so my mom immediately called an emergency vet hotline where they tell you what to do. I felt a huge weight on my chest the whole day, feeling uneasy and not really concentrating. Once school was over, I ran from the bus stop home and everything seemed as if it was back to normal. My mom has stayed home so I ran to her screaming. She had told me that everything was going to be fine and that all she needed was milk. It was the happiest day. The worry that my best friend would have died just to feed her puppies was the worst. She is the bravest and that’s why I love her. This is one of those memories that I will never forget.