I'm Thankful for Dance

sytycd2013
By: Nicole Campbell

Furious tears beat down my cheeks and I slam my bedroom door after another difficult day--only it’s not my room. No. I share that too. Nothing is actually mine. People can take anything from me, at any time, except for the deep desire inside my gut to dance. Thankfully, nobody can take that away from me.

The first thing I have to do when I feel stressed or overwhelmed is break out my ipod, turn it on as loud as possible, and drown out the rest of the world. Music itself isn’t the cure to a bad day, but it calms me by making me forget about the future or the past and focus on just now. When I start to move...now that’s a different story altogether. By then, I have given myself up to the music completely. It isn’t me moving anymore, it’s some other force. My brain doesn’t think; doesn’t tell my body what to do, my body moves on its own accord. When I hear a song, particularly one I’m partial to, I can’t put in words how it feels. I can only say it is the best feeling I have ever experienced. I don’t know what I would do without dance, nor can I fathom how I would be able to live if I was injured so badly that I couldn’t move. Being paralyzed, to me, would be death itself. The pride I get after I’ve choreographed something special is unprecedented, even if nobody else sees it.

The mood I’m in affects the music I listen to, and the music I listen to affects the type of dance I do at that time. If I’m angry I might do hiphop or a more hardcore style. If I’m depressed or unsure of myself, I might listen to a contemporary-lyrical song, which results in the movement I do. Days where I am feeling happy and confident, I’ll probably listen to more feel-good songs and do something more jazz-like. Any style I do gives the same effect; comfort. That sense of security allows me to function when I doubt I would otherwise be able to. Dance is such a huge part of my life, and I’m thankful for that.