Animals: Man’s Unhealthy Best Friend

jmac
Some people have strange relationships with their pets. All pets are meant to be loved and valued by their owners, but some people don’t know their boundaries. I once knew a lady who cared about her dog more than anything in the word. She was a married woman and she placed her dog on a pedestal. When her dog got sick and eventually passed away, her world came crashing down. She was a teacher at an elementary school and she stopped work for two weeks to grieve the loss of her precious dog. It is important to care and value your pets, but there is a point where it becomes an unhealthy relationship. People put so much into their pets and it causes so many problems for them in the future.
I have known people who value their pets on equal level with their own children. How can someone put an animal above the children they gave birth to? Pets are amazing, I have a dog myself and have had many pets, but people need to realize the impact that pet is having on their life. If you begin to put your animal before other people in your life, you know there is a problem.
It is such an important part of life to be able to share your day and experiences, but that’s why God made other people. He looked down on everything he made and said to Adam that he needed a companion. People were made to be in fellowship with each other and while animals are great and amazing, they can never take the place of another person in your life.