Animals: Are they all they've cracked up to be?

camilla.marais
Man's best friend, the original sidekick, the creature that can lead the blind, comfort the old and heal the depressed. The completing component to the average American family, along with 2.5 children and a white picket fence, is a canine companion. Throughout childhood, kids are bombarded with Webkinz pets, vet Barbie and Airbud movies alike, almost as to ignite a hidden need for a sweet yet slobbery partner in crime. Naturally, the first 17 years of my existence was dedicated to begging for a puppy of my own. I succeeded a few weeks before my junior prom, and a sweet puppy named Pippa found herself in our abode.
The first few weeks with a puppy are like what you imagine the first few weeks with a new pet would be. Everything was insanely adorable, from the way her floppy ears cradled her face and even how she peed in fear every time someone rang our doorbell. Never mind those moments, I had a dog, and our home was finally complete.
It’s been 11 months now, and as our puppy grew bigger, my patience did the opposite. Cute little yelps become trying yaps, her daily walk became my daily dred, and pausing my Netflix 10 times a night to get her tennis ball from under the couch was losing it’s thrill. My secret stash of candy has been relocated from the convenience of under my bed to avoid her exploration escapades. Don’t even get me started on the state of my favorite childhood stuffed animal that she just happens to adore.
So what is the reason for the canine component, next to the 2.5 kids, to the average American family? Honestly, this concept of having pets humors me. Perhaps it’s because I’ve embraced myself as one of the few non-animal-people in our world, I can view this whole concept apart from any feelings or personal connotations. Humans willingly house another species of no economic or social value, to live off their resources. They name these creatures, buy them accessories, and even list the animal’s given name on the yearly Christmas card.
As I’ve observed Pippa’s presence in our home however, some things are impossible not to note. The smirky smile, that only comes from witnessing absolute ridiculousness, spreads across my mother’s face as Pippa leaves a puddle of happiness simply upon her arrival home is a little heart-melting. Watching my brother sprint her down my street as I pull into the driveway is a little picturesque. Seeing my dad’s almost-permanent stress lines fade from his forehead as she jumps on his lap for her belly rub, is almost sweet. So while this dog we have does not contribute to our society, economically to our household, or the fantasies from my adolescent Airbud movies, I can’t deny that she’s a little cute when she curls up next to me at night. And that little bit of sunshine she brings to our home, is worth the whole lot of everything else.