I'm Thankful For The Seasons

meggie
Unimpeachable Seasons

Crunching and squashing, wet boots trudging through pure, white winter-y sparkle. Hop on a plane and a few hours later someone can find themselves on a warm, balmy beach by an optimistic blue ocean. This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for seasons.

Each time of year has such precious qualities; the glisten of winter’s snow drifts, flowers peeping up through wet, fresh spring grass, lazy, hazy days soaking in summer’s golden sunshine, and leaves falling all around me like little gems in the crisp autumn air. It is unfortunate to only get the chance to experience the beauty of each season only once a year, but I, personally, bask in the glory of them for the few months that they last, and take in the excitement of going on those rare holiday vacations to far away places where the season differs from the one back home. (I will admit, however, that I am especially partial to the warm, no-school days of summer we have in St. Joseph Michigan.)

Oftentimes, I think that people tend to take for granted the beauty of the weather, and don’t frequently notice the positive impact a sunny warm day, or even a cozy, stay-inside-because-it’s-storming-day can have on our moods. Even the air outside, whether it’s 100 degrees out or 10 below zero, the fresh air does our lungs, and soul good.

The air is not the only thing that livens up a soul, however. After being surrounded by a slushy layer of mud and ice for the long winter months after Christmas, seeing the head of a friendly little crocus shooting up through the ground could make even Scrooge smile. And in the summer, waking up to the sounds of the lake’s waves splashing against the shore is enough to heal any sore-hearted creature.

Sitting in my plastic fold out chair at the Thanksgiving dinner table with all the friends and family, laughter and bonding inside, sharp winds whistling through the bright color-infused trees outside, I realize that this Thanksgiving, we all need to take some time to sit back and enjoy God’s creative gift to humanity; the seasons.