Animals: Duke of all Trades

agrace
It was a hot Californian day, and my sister and I were swimming in our pool. We were eight and five years old. My parents were out running errands, so we were just relaxing with our aunt and uncle, splashing around and jumping into the pool. When my sister and I saw our parents walk into the backyard, we ran out of the pool, dripping wet, to give our parents big hugs. However, something caught my eye. In my dad's hand was a huge birthday gift bag with a bow. I thought it was the new Wii and I hurriedly took the bag, ripped the ribbon off, and stuffed my hands into the cotton pink tissue paper. I nearly shrieked as I dug my hands down and touched a soft ball of fur. I gently pulled it up and there he was: a 10 lb Yorkshire terrier with shy eyes and tiny paws! My sister and I were screaming "Thank you!" as we clutched our new puppy, tears welling in our eyes. After much thought and debate, we named him Duke.

That first night, I decided that I would serenade my dog to sleep. I had just started learning guitar and I wanted my first audience to be Duke. I pulled out my chord booklet, tucked my guitar under my arm, and began to softly croon Avril Lavigne's song "Keep Holding On." I am not sure whether or not he enjoyed it because that night he chewed up his cardboard barrier and ran around the house.

As I grew up, Duke was not only my audience, but also my defender. When I was in middle school, I was chosen as the most outstanding player on my school's basketball team. I can owe some of that credit to Duke. I played the position of point guard and to be a point guard, you need to be skillful at dribbling. I would go outside and begin to dribble when Duke would immediately jump up on his hind legs and use his two front paws to try to swipe at the ball. I became an adept player because Duke was the best defender I have ever faced!

Now I am going to college. My dog who has been my study buddy all throughout high school will no longer be with me. He has spent so many late nights next to me as I typed out the final words to a term paper or completed my calculus homework. One of my biggest fears in college is not being unable to find friends; my fear is something happening to Duke while I am away. When I went to Paris and was away from my family for a week, Duke slept at the foot of my bed every night. Now I will be gone months at a time, but I know that he is always waiting for me to come home with his bouncing paws and bright smile.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Pet / Animal story being chosen as 1 of the 10 essays in the running for 1st place for our April 2015 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment. We had over 100 essays submitted for April’s contest.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by May 31st. You can check this page for the results after May 31st:

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Posted: Friday, May 8, 2015 6:48:19 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your April 2015 Animal / Pet Story being selected as our 1st place teen essay.

We will be contacting you by the end of the week via your registration email about prize details.

Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 7:40:43 PM
Comment by carrie cudjoe

Congratulations!!!What a touching story...I'm in tears.
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 10:39:40 PM
Comment by Vanna_116

Like no offense but i do not like ur story at all and you do not deserve to win at all! Like seriously i feel this was rigged
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 2:09:50 AM

We wanted to let you know that our April 2015 Pet Stories Teen Trend Report is complete. In the report, we have compiled the statistics from our teen survey and come up with themes based on the submitted essays.

If you would like to view the teen trend report, here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandPets.aspx

Thanks again for sharing your story with the world!

- Rebecca
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:41:18 PM

This is a comment in response to the nasty comment made by Vanna_116 on this winning essay.

We first would like to confirm that no essay contests on our site are "rigged" or in any way biased. Each month we receive between 50 to 400 student essays in response to our essay contest prompts. We have a system for judging that includes a panel of editorial board members who judge the winning essays. This editorial board is made up of students, teachers, professors and professionals who all have a wide range of experience in judging writing.

We do appreciate when others read the essays that are chosen as winners, but we highly discourage any type of bullying comments that are meant to discourage vs. encourage writers who are brave enough to share their stories with others.

Stageoflife.com Co-founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:51:40 PM